Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you select Custom from the Windows or Microsoft Update homepage and you have Silicon Image SATALink Controllers installed in your machine, you will be presented with the option of obtaining and installing an updated Windows driver for said controller. DO NOT select to install it, and check the "Don't show this update again" box.

If you press on the "Details..." link, you will be given only the driver's release date and nothing else:

YOU SHOULD NEVER UPDATE YOUR SILICON IMAGE SATA CONTROLLER DRIVER ALONE - THE DRIVER HAS TO BE UPDATED TOGETHER WITH THE CONTROLLER'S BIOS.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportfaq.aspx#q1
When installing or upgrading drivers and BIOS, be sure to always use the same type of driver and BIOS.

When selecting a driver for upgrade or installation, pick the latest released driver for your Silicon Image controller part number. Install the driver that is the same type as the BIOS you have installed for your controller.

A Silicon Image storage controller driver that is fully installed but not working is usually caused by an incompatibility between the BIOS installed for the controller and the driver. Installing a type of driver that differs from the installed BIOS type will not work. Problems with matching driver and BIOS types sometime occur because the drivers require a later release of BIOS to function correctly.
If you need to update your Silicon Image SATALink Controller drivers, then please do so only after you have read and understood in full all the information contained in the SiI page linked above, and only through the appropriate download pages referred therein.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Hi Zazula,

I'll second that nice work & great info and add a priceless.
I will also add a link to it in the sta article I am doing, It may save some people some hair.
Cheers
BD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.