Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently i got a new graphics card, then got a new psu to support it, i came here for advice. Now i have a new problem for you :laugh: Few days ago my computer randomly powered down, no BSOD just straight out off. I tried to turn it on after a while and it sent power through, but nothing happened on screen. Sometimes it has just turned on then back off again moments later. Another note, is sometime whilst i play a game a small dot or line appears on screen instantly.
My spec
Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2
Intel core 2 quad Q8400
4 GB DDR2 Dual channel
ASUSTEK P5KPL/EPU
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
A bad GPU is typically not the cause of such shutdowns, but rather a bad PSU. If you got another PSU on hand (like your older one) try to do a switcheroo and see if that stabilizes things. Note that if it's lower wattage than your new one, don't do anything graphically intensive that will cause your GPU to soak up more power, otherwise it's most certainly going to cause problems if the PSU can't take the heat. Typically if it's around the minimum spec for the gpu, it can handle running it at idle.

Also make sure to check temps and voltages with HWMonitor. Screenshot it or whatnot and send results over yonder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.