Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAT6 cable x2-x3 slower than my wireless???

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  alpenadiver 
#1 ·
So I have my computer in the basement and no way to move the router/modem combo from Charter which is a DOCSIS 2.0 piece of **** with tons of packet loss and horrible ping compared to what I would get with AT&T at my old apartment (although I hate both with a passion) and their internet is around twice as fast (1.5mb/sec vs 660kb/sec). Unfortunately I cannot get the modem/router name or serial number til the morning but hopefully that's not really necessary

Now, when I use my Linksys AE2500 I get around 90-110 ping when I ping League of Legend servers (ping 216.52.241.254). Well, I went out and bought a 50 foot CAT6 cable today to combat my packet and ping spikes but I get a constant 230-350 ping now. What's the deal? I've NEVER had this issue before and it's really bothering me after spending $50 on it.

I've never heard of this issue before in my entire networking experience. There isn't any RIF since it goes from the basement door up the wall and straight into the room with the router so there's minimal traveling distance too.

Please help! I'd really love to be able to game and it's been 4 months since I've been able to stably

#2 ·
Get into the Modems GUI, have a look at the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) you may be getting some RF interference.

30 is good for downstream, and upstream. if it is higher you will want to call Charter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.