Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran (in conduit) about 214ft of cat5 cable underground. I get a link light, Laptop says its connected, but cannot ping anything or access any webpages, router is set up for DHCP. Didnt check to see if I got an IP. This laptop functions fine on all other runs. My question is....did I goof by running this cable and coax for CATV in the same conduit. :4-dontkno

I dont think I'm getting an IP because I cant ping the router or access its web interface. We did have to pull quite hard to get the wire through the conduit, but i think the wire is ok. I ran about 300 ma of current through the run to light an incandescent bulb at 12v on all 4 pairs.

I do not have a firewall.

I reterminated about 5 times. So im pretty sure its not that.

Maybe the wire is faulty, but I think 300ma @ 12v is a good test?

This isnt the first network I have set up, but it is the longest run I have ever done.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
This sounds like a classic case of the pairs being wired to the wrong pins. Note that you not only need continuity, but you MUST have the twisted pairs on the correct pins for the cable to actually work. Simple testers don't tell you that key bit of information.

The cable and coax in the same conduit is not the issue, of that I'm pretty certain.

One other thing that might be an issue. If this is running to a remote building, you could have electrical grounding issues causing you problems.

CAT5 Cable Wiring Diagram

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN CAT 5, TWISTED-PAIR NETWORK CABLES

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.