Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello team,

I have done my degree in BBA (a long time ago). I worked for IBM as a backup admin for 1 year and 8 months, and quit cause I do not wish to continue in Backup line. Now I have done CCNA, and confused whether to do CCNP or MCITP or SAP-Basis or Software testing. All I want to know is, which one of the options is a good for job opportunities across the globe (especially for freshers)?

I believe that there are professionals and IT career advisers out there. Trusting in your advice!! please help!!

·
Moderator, IT Pro Team, Certification and Career E
1,048 Posts
Getting certified doesn't automatically qualify you to do a job... for that, you need experience. Certification is designed to reflect the experience you have with a particular technology... not something you get instead of experience with a technology. So getting a bunch of advanced certifications is not going to make you more employable for those jobs. For example, I am certified as an Oracle Certified Professional (I wrote practice exams for that certification years ago), but I have no real-world experience administering Oracle databases. So could I get a job as an Oracle DBA? Unlikely, unless the other experience I have is enough to persuade the company to hire me.

Did you get any server administration experience as a backup admin? If so, use that experience to help you get a server admin job. If not, I would recommend that you get any technical administration job and work your way up to doing light server administration. When you get some experience doing that, certify on those technologies so you can get a server admin job. You can then use that position to branch out to do whatever you want to do - network admin, security admin, database admin, etc.

If you need assistance getting a technical admin job, you should stick with entry-level certifications that are relevant to those roles. These certifications include the A+, Network+, and Windows client certifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply!

Just consider that I do not have any experience in IT. All I want is to enter the IT field!..... Please advise which is better to start off and gain experience. I mean which is also good for future where I could get lot of job opportunities. Is it Cisco (CCNA/CCNP/CCIE) or MCITP or Linux or SAP-Basis or Software-Testing or any of your suggestions please!!!!!!!!!

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,507 Posts
He did point you to the place to start with certs A+, Network+

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done A+, N+, CCNA, ITIL v3(Foundation)...... so want to know in which line to start getting experience....... and which line I could get more job opportunities globaly

·
68,507 Posts
You need to pick the one route you feel you will be happiest working in otherwise you will be a back in a short few years asking which is best,Do you have a field of it work you actually enjoy more ie networking get a entry level job and gain the hands on real world experience then you can progress further

·
68,507 Posts
I expect it depends on what route you choose ask your self will that be useful in this role

·
Moderator, IT Pro Team, Certification and Career E
1,048 Posts
Don't pursue a job simply because it "offers good opportunities". Do what you enjoy. If you have no IT experience, you're worrying about this waaaaaaay too early, because those jobs aren't entry-level jobs. For example, you aren't likely to start out doing Cisco router administration, because no company with an ounce of sense will entrust their network to someone who doesn't have IT experience. Most everyone starts out doing basic technical administration. I started as a field service tech, repairing PCs, printers, and the occasional server at client sites.

The A+ and Network+ certifications are appropriate for your skill level. However, the CCNA might cause employers with entry-level jobs to not hire you. After all, they simply need an entry-level tech, not someone who wants to administer routers. If you have trouble finding work, you might consider leaving the CCNA off your resume/CV.

By all means, apply for any IT jobs you see. Just keep in mind that server and router admin jobs are typically given to people who have IT experience. I would recommend that you get your foot in the door wherever you can (even if it's not doing something you perceive as fun or exciting) so you can start building the one thing that all employers desire: experience.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.