Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have a 40 GB hard disk. I have successfully got it working on another computer. My intentions were to place it into a disk rack and carry it between the two computers. I currently have it set up to run a Compaq Deskpro EN, but I also want it to push a Compaq Presario 4814. On the Presario, I partitioned six gigs and fought Windows 98 in, but it would OE on me as it was logging in. Afterwards, nothing would happen. On the Deskpro, it now runs properly but before it would lock up when canceling from making a startup disk (or even making one!). I was able to bypass that and got it going. I did need to reformat the partition to get Windows in finally. Afterwards, I began setting up hardware profiles for the machines. I got two profies set up for the Deskpro with hopes of operating it in two networking environments (which didn't work the way I wanted, software diference) and I made a profile slot for the Presario. Now, on the Presario, it says Invalid System Disk, but I put it on the Deskpro and it boots fine. Any ideas why?:upset: :confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
well what computer did you make the disk with first of all. if you made it with the computer that is working well it wont work with another computer .

you have had to had made two seperate disks one for you desktop pro and the other for the precario. but make the disks with 2 computers. like one boot up disk will be made with the desktop and the other disk made with the presario.

iam sure you have them networked together the right way just check to make sure. also go to the hard drive and see if there is a mark you can check to say make this a shared hard drive.

i have that on mine but i dont share it.

ok i hope that will help i mean no one else seems to know what is going on. iam just guessing and it is hard but once you get them going it will be good. also check for viruses with your norton 2003 or not suggested 2002.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard that before. Especially since I have many times booted one computer off of another's hard disk very successfully. So you'll know, this is one hard disk that I am carrrying between a home computer and a school computer. I'm playing Half Life at school with a few friends (and maybe surfing the web) and then trying to take it home and transfer any downloads I make over my network (with one other system). However, when I get it home, it says Invalid Boot Disk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.