Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
The site seems like it may not be loading properly...I'm in Windows (Firefox browser right now). BRB, let me see what it looks like in Linux...

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Hmm, in Windows at least I could see a few links. It's all screwed up in Linux, just like your screenshot. Only the flash video is playing. I don't know why that would be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, it looks like there is some issues with the index.html page. I am using Windows with three different browsers and experience issues that vary depending on what browser I use. I am not positive, but I think it has to do with the Javascript coding on the page somehow. Regardless, you are going to have problems with that page.

Therefore, that leaves you with little other choice than to go http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/index3.htm
and bypass this Java function to get what you need. The previous post from the other user was basically your solution.

The only other link from the index.html page that you can use is as follows:

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/

P.S. This whole web site is set up terribly and there is a coding discrepency.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ohic now, I didn't understand how the download system worked.
My bad.
Cool though, thanks dude!

PS, I can't say anything about this site as for coding. But as for design, its just plain ugly and clunky.
*puke*

·
Registered
34 Posts
ohic now, I didn't understand how the download system worked.
My bad.
Cool though, thanks dude!

PS, I can't say anything about this site as for coding. But as for design, its just plain ugly and clunky.
*puke*
Another thing, and I am almost SURE this is your problem. I don't think you have the Java plugin(s) for your web browser. That would definitely be why it doesn't work :)

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
Another thing, and I am almost SURE this is your problem. I don't think you have the Java plugin(s) for your web browser. That would definitely be why it doesn't work :)
I didn't see any Java on the site. There's some JavaScript (different language, built into browser) that seems buggy, but Java plugins won't make a difference.

The problem seems to be with the Flash plugin for Linux. I'm not sure about on 32 bit installs of Linux (I use a 64-bit Gentoo install on my main tower), but the Flash plugin appears to fail when closing a full-screen YouTube video (might be a bug with nspluginwrapper). I used that little flaw to make Flash crash and can see the links on Radiohead's front page after that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm.. Yeah I have the plugins installed.
You tried Gnash yet? omg it sucks.
I tired it on my other comp, the first thing I did was go to youtube and it was all jacked up.

I tried 64 bit version of Ubuntu, stuff crashed, alot. Like Firefox, but when it crashed, if any flash animations were in any tabs they would stay on the screen and even after (attempting) to kill the process(s) they were still there. I went back to 32 bit and all was fine again :)
Besides I only seen a slight improvement in speed. And only when decoding/encoding videos or something..

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
Gnash wouldn't install for me on any of the *nix OS's I've attempted to use it on. I found some strange Flash library while using Gentoo's software management system (Portage - very awesome). Couldn't get it to install due to being missing, but it looked like source code to something from Adobe (it was under some Adobe source license).

For now I'm able to do most Flash on my 64-bit Gentoo install, which is a big improvement over when I couldn't have Flash on Linux in any form. Hopefully Flash will improve now that Adobe bought out Macromedia.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really? Besides 64bit versions I've never had any problem with Adobe flash and linux.
Ubuntu pretty much holds your hand through the whole process :D
The thing that gets me the most is java, getting the plugins to work >_<

I'm thinking about switching distros.. Would you recommend Gentoo? If not, what?
I'm still quite novice at linux atm, I know basic CLI commands but anything more than that and its time to start copy/pasting..

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
I've never used Flash on 32 bit Linux. I didn't have a machine that would run Macromedia (or now Adobe's) Flash until this year. Before then I tried a couple of times to get projects like Gnash working, but all of them failed to do almost anything.

Adobe's Flash plugin is only available for x86, so I have to use nspluginwrapper to run it on 64-bit browsers. Works fairly well most of the time (especially considering it's mixing 32-bit plugins with 64-bit browsers...). I use Pandora and YouTube a fair amount. Seems to crash when you do certain things and sometimes you have to click on a non Flash part of the page, then back on what you want to click on in the Flash object.

As far as distros go, I'm a huge fan of Gentoo. Sometimes you need more knowledge than with other distros though (when you run into problems mainly). You would most likely learn more about Linux as a result of using Gentoo - which is great if you want to learn more. Very nice software management though (best I've used). Sabayon is based on Gentoo and seems to be aimed at being easier to start with. The downside of these is installing takes a long time on slower machines because they are source-based distros (they compile almost everything you install from the software management system).

A distro really depends on personal preferences. With Gentoo (and probably Sabayon as well) you should be able to tweak everything easier than other distros. With Debian based distros (Ubuntu, MEPIS, etc.) you should have a fairly stable set of binary packages. I haven't used an RPM based distro in years, but plenty of people like those (Fedora, SUSE, etc.).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know what, I'm gonna partition my HDD and install Gentoo on it and tinker with it for awhile.
I DO wanna learn more about linux, I actually like it when I'm forced to use a CLI a bit of the time.

The one thing I never understood was how to compile from source, I'd go to install something and I'd get a tarball or something. How is the community support for Gentoo? Probably less than for Ubuntu.. Right?

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
The one thing I never understood was how to compile from source, I'd go to install something and I'd get a tarball or something. How is the community support for Gentoo? Probably less than for Ubuntu.. Right?
What do you mean less than? I've usually been able to find someone using Gentoo that knows what I should be doing to fix a problem (in the cases where I didn't know how to fix it or where to find a solution). Gentoo's community is mostly made up of users that like to understand Linux and how to have their distro tuned to work exactly as they want. Great thing about Linux is once you understand how to get something done via the command line, you should be able to figure it out on another distro. Also should be able to do most things on other Unix-like OSs (Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc).

As far as compiling from source, you usually have to open the tarball (the tar command), then run ./configure from the new directory, run the make command, and finally run "make install" without quotes. If you're not sure, there should be a README or INSTALL file (yes, it probably will be all capitalized). Nice thing about Gentoo's software management system is it handles a lot of that for you. If it's in Portage, then you just run 'emerge -va program' (again, without quotes) where program is whatever you want to install. Need to search for something in Portage? Just run 'emerge -s keyword'.

I'm personally a fan of the CLI install for Gentoo. I haven't tried the graphical installer though, since I like to use LVM2 which the installer is not set up to do yet (last I checked anyway). Great way to know what goes onto your computer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.