Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought me a new geforce 6200, and it wont play any files like wmv, mov, or anything. i updated the drivers, still dont work, i reinstalled the players, still doesnt work.. can anyone help me?

my specs are:
windows xp pro sp1
geforce 6200 256mb agp
intel pentium 4 3.0gb
1gm ram
dmx 6fire 24/96 sound card

they worked before with me old geforce 4mx, and they work when i try it with no drivers installed. any help would be greatly appreciated, as im a bit stumped :4-dontkno
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found a temp fix

well.. thanks for the (lack of) help.. i doubt ill be coming here again.
for anyone that also has this problem, i figured out a temporary fix that'll do for now i guess. just right click your desktop and choose properties, then choose the settings tab and click advanced. on here click on the 'troubleshooting tab' and then turn the hardware acceleration slider down to 'none'. then the vids play. i think the drivers conflict with directx, not sure though. i tried various different drivers but none worked for me. might take my card back and get a 6600 instead. ive heard the 6200's are a bit crappy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for replying! i appreciate it, maybe i will come back here in future afterall.
yes, i tried it, and no, it doesnt work. the only way i can get it to work is with the method i wrote down. well, either that or getting a refund and a card that isnt lame hehe, but ill just stick to my method.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Question when you installed your New card, Did windows find new hardware when you booted up the first time? Here is a chart for Video chip sets If you look at he chart Your 6200 has a 64 bit memory data path where all but one of the MX's had 128 bit (the higher the better). If you decide to go with the 6600 get the GT. :sayyes:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
outside of playing video clips how did the card perform? did you play any games or run any other applications?
i'm curious because i have one myself, but i didn't get to try it yet. i'm building pc, but i'm waiting on the mobo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I installed it, Windows found the new hardware and I installed it with the PNY CD what came with it. The drivers I am using now I got from nvidiea.com.

Apart from this problem, my card has been running fine. I have played Far Cry on it, which is a brilliant game, completed it now. City of Heroed and City of Villains also both run fine. They are the only games I have tried on it, I have heard that quite a few games have problems running on this card, mainly down to drivers. My friend has told me to try some drivers from www.tweaksrus.com although that site confused me a bit so I haven't gotten any of their drivers.

My applications also run fine, the macromedia and adobe suites both run as good as I would expect, so I am not so fussed with a simple task of turning my hardware acceleration off just to watch video files, as I don't often play them.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
quake4 won't run properly on my current system (sempron 2500, FireGL X1, 2GB RAM). i was putting together a core system for rendering only, but at the last moment i decided to get a card that would at least allow me to run quake4. i didn't have enough for X800. there was a mix up with the mobo model, so i still haven't got a chance to build the pc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.