Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently partitioned my hard drive so I could put linux on. I installed Mandrake 8.2, and that works fine. Then I edited the lilo.conf file to have windows as an option in the boot. However when I try to boot up windows, it says xmnt2002 - program not found and autochk - program not found, then says STOP: c000021a, and brings up some fatal system error. But when I searched my windows/system32 folder through linux, I saw that the files were actually there. Does anybody know anything about what could be the problem? :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im not sure if i can help but maybe some usefull information would be what version of windows your trying to run and what was the string you put in lilo.conf to run windows is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sfpiano try installing windows in the primary partition first and then install mandrake linux. Mandrake will automatically make a lilo boot loader with both the options that is dos and linux. If linux set as default then first entry might be linux and second dos ( windows actually) and vice a versa.

Regards,

Ramjeet

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
how did you actually partition the hard drive ? how is your system configured and do you have any additional HD installed ?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The more I got to thinking about this. The error probably lies in how Lilo was configured. When you configure Lilo you need to tell it the boot drive for windows. So say you have one hard drive, and Linux its called /dev/hda

in typical scenario you could have the following:

/dev/hda1 > /boot for linux
/dev/hda2 >/swap for linux
/dev/hda3 > /home for linux
/dev/hda4/ >/ for linux

now your partitions might be different but again they should look somewhat similar.. If you installed Windows on /dev/hda .. chances are its going to be in /dev/hda5 or some such..

Lilo would need an entry for Windows that points to /dev/hda5 instead of just /dev/hda ... because if it points to /dev/hda then its going to just try and read the MBR or first set of sectors and puke..

Another possibility is that If you're running Windows 2000 or WindowsXP, they like to be the first OS before the 1024th cylinder of the hard disk.. There is a command you can add to Lilo to make Windows "think" its the first even if its not :) I'll find the link if I can .. and post it back here.

Drew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to dual boot XP. Here's some of my setup:

fstab:
----------------------------------------------
Code:
/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda4 swap swap defaults 0 0
lilo.conf:
---------------------------------
Code:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda3
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi quiet"
	vga=788
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux-nonfb
	root=/dev/hda3
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=failsafe
	root=/dev/hda3
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi failsafe"
	read-only
other=/dev/fd0
	label=floppy
	unsafe
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windows
        table=/dev/hda
fdisk -l:
--------------------------------------------
Code:
Disk /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 10337 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1          2099      9807  58280008+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2          9808     10337   4006800    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3   *        69      2098  15346768+  83  Linux
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4             1        68    514048+  82  Linux swap
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5          9808     10337   4006768+   b  Win95 FAT32

Partition table entries are not in disk order
boot.ini:
---------------------------------------------------
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect\

·
Registered
711 Posts
change your entry in the fstab from /dev/hda1 being your windows partition to /dev/hda5 to boot windows.. :) I think that ought to take care of it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same/if not similar problem.

Here's what i have
(in order of partition)
Linux /
Windows XP NTFS
Linux /Home
Linux Swap

Linux and Windows XP are both PRIMARY partitions
I set this up in Partition Magic.

Now, before installing linux i set LINUX as the ACTIVE partition (it hides the windows xp one)

THIS is what i think is causing the problem.
how can I make linux hide it's current partition, and unhide windows xp?

I get the autochk problem when trying to load XP (it was installed first)
Lilo is setup (correctly, i believe) and it attempts to load XP, and then XP gives its error after the status bar screen

·
Registered
711 Posts
Have you guys installed Windows first? and then Linux? Windows's bootloader gets crabby if you install it second.. and it has to fight with Lilo...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fixed the problem, actually.
I had to setup the partitions differently, so I didn't have to "HIDE" any partitions
and both work great, using LILO.

Yes, I installed XP then Linux when i had the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
masterEvil how did you fix your problem and make them both visable or whatever. I have the exact same problem and im new to linux but i do know how to go in the GRUB bootloader menu in Yast2, i have SuSE 8.1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I repartitioned
the other way (having hidding, etc.) doesn't work too well i suppose :/

So here's what i did (From new knowledge i've found)

Partiton XP, NTFS: 25gb (or something)
Linux mounted on / : 1.5gb i think
Linux mounted on /usr : 500mb or 1gb
Linux swap: 520mb

I didn't realize that linux could be
1) PAST the 2000th cylinder (or whatever number it is.. Windows wants to be before that to boot, linux, it doesn't matter, it seems)

2) a logical partition

So XP is on a primary, and the others are all logical
and i use LILO as a boot manager, and it works great

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok sounds good but what did you use to re partition XP? I dont mind if linux is deleted i can reinstall i just got a new copy, but XP the data is sensative. with whatever program you used basically you deleted the linux partitions and remade it as the logical partition?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Basically, I formatted the entire drive.
I don't know of any software for linux that would allow windows to boot instead of the linux drive... so i just formatted again, repartitioned

I think you should be able to install Windows 2000/XP ontop of linux.. that would allow you to boot into windows

(I used PARTITION MAGIC to partition my hard drive)
use that, fix the drives, hide the current, and set the old XP install to the active partition

restart, and it should boot into your old OS..
if everything goes well, either repartition, or format and repartition

that's what i would do-- might not be the best, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, DOS.. there are bootdisks (recovery they call them?) for PM.. if oyu made those, check that out

I'm not sure what it'll allow you to do, though

PM for linux? not sure

·
Registered
529 Posts
Something that might should be asked, and something I found out the hard way, is this: Did Windows work when you rebooted before installing Linux? I resized my Windows NTFS partition and I lost it.:angry2: A reinstall corrected that, then I put Linux in. Also, try changing your Lilo.conf back to what it was and see if that helps. You may have done something that ruined your ability to get to Windows. ...then again, I know little about Linux so I can't be too much help.:dead: ...then again, you might wanna help me experiment with WINe and just whack that Windows installation.:tongue2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.