Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for a friend. I ran out of ideas.

start/turn off computer/restart does not work
start/turn off computer/turn off does not work
In both cases, when I click restart or turn off, nothing happens but I can turn the computer off after switching users and then using the button that is there.

Specs:
WinXP
Pentium 4 CPU 1.6GHz
256 MB RAM

·
Registered
403 Posts
Try going to the Control Panel, than Power options, and check for any settings that might be causing this to happen. (You have to be in classic view in order to see "Power Options".........

It could also be a problem with your power supply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't shut down through "Turn off Computer

Mugzzzy

You might try Start>Run>type in "SFC /Scannow" (without quotes). If that doesn't work, delete the account, and set up another one. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Not sure why it does that. It just went away after awhile. Has he installed all windows updates?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is his response:
No, I can't because when I go to the update site, it says I have to use Internet Explorer to use the site. I do have IE though.
I searched and found out that there is a problem between Norton Antivirus and Windows XP. I tried disabling Norton but I still have that problem. I was afraid that if I uninstalled it, I would lose my firewall.

When I go to Windows Update through the Start Menu, it goes to this webpage: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/thanks.asp
To me, it seems that his Windows Update isn't recognizing Windows XP on his system.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have no clue what to say. I have Nortons Anti-virus and Internet Security/Firewall and Windows update works fine. Only idea that comes to me is to re-install Windows XP, but that would be my last resort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is going to try installing some of the service pack updates to try to fix the issues between Norton and XP. I'll post an update on this as soon as I get more information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.