Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Win10. A few months ago I could share my Canon ImageClass laser printer across my local network. Suddenly that stopped working. I have cycled the sharing button off & back on. Rebooting between each step.

No help.

Anybody know what's wrong?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,310 Posts
On the printer that isn't working, go into the Control Panel and see if it's finding the printer (Devices and Printers). If so, right click and try the Troubleshooter.

·
Registered
41,112 Posts
Go to Devices and Printers, Right click your printer, choose Printer Properties (not properties) go to the Sharing Tab. Put a check in the box to Share this printer. Name the printer if you like. Apply and OK.
To add the printer on another computer on your network, press the Win key+R, on that computer, In the Run box type \\[ComputerName] (ie) the name of the computer that the printer is shared on or the printer name itself. A window should open with the printer, you can Right click this and choose Connect. It will put the shared printer on that computer. If this doesn't work, you may need to download the driver on the computer that wants to add the printer from the Canon Drivers page. Type in the Full model # of the printer and download the driver, during the install it will ask if this is a Network Printer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to Devices and Printers, Right click your printer, choose Printer Properties (not properties) go to the Sharing Tab. Put a check in the box to Share this printer. Name the printer if you like. Apply and OK.
That did it. Thanks much.

How clever MS is to put sharing the printers in two completely different places, such that one place works and the other doesn't. Do these guys spend their entire lives with their head up their region?

I was changing the printer sharing in Network & Sharing > Advanced Sharing. See screen capture.

Attachments

·
Registered
41,112 Posts
The Advanced Sharing section is just to let Windows know you want to share Any Printer or File sometime in the future, Then you have to actually choose a Printer and or a File to Share.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.