Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having the following problems with my computer all day now:

1) Can't send any emails (through Yahoo or a separate WebMail site)
2) Can't post large amounts of data to any website (for example, on a forum, if I make a post of a couple of sentences it submits instantly, but any long messages cause it to stay loading for about a minute before coming back with "Do you want to save posting.php")
3) Can't sign into Windows Live Messenger or my MSN account on the new version of Pidgin (but I CAN sign in using an old version of Pidgin Portable)
4) Can't stay connected uploading to FTP for more than half a minute before the connection drops
5) Random errors popping up on websites with AJAX (e.g. Yahoo Mail), and a few sites just not loading

All of these problems started this morning and I've turned off the power to my router and PC many times, hasn't helped. I tried all of these actions on another computer on the network and they work fine, so it must be a problem with the computer.

XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
2.41GHz
1GB RAM

Running:
AVG Free Anti-Virus
Sunbelt Personal Firewall

I've not installed anything in the past few days that could affect this. I've checked for viruses etc. with Process Explorer but can't see anything that shouldn't be running.

Basically it looks like everything's working fine until I try to send out large amounts of data, and I've tried everything I can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Boot into safe mode with networking and see if the problem persists.

Disable all security software

Note: Some programs need to be completely uninstalled to stop interfering with the system

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Sorry for not mentioning this in the first place, but I just realised that the day before it stopped working there was a power cut while I was using it (although for the whole evening after that everything worked fine).

So I now think the problem might be due to disk corruption or damage to some of the network hardware?

I tried booting into Safe Mode, but after it had listed the driver Mup.sys, it froze for about 5 minutes then rebooted itself. I googled this and found that a common cause is hard disk corruption. Tried running chkdsk on C: but it didn't find any errors and didn't solve anything.

Also, when I was restarting the computer the other day, twice in a row it came up with "Booting from CD" (secondary boot device) - meaning it thought the HDD had failed?

Any advice on what to do next would be very helpful!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I ran the Windows version because I'm not sure if I have any spare rewritable CDs, and it said I passed both the quick and extended tests... do you think the DOS version might give different results though? If not, what should I try next? Could it be some sort of broken networking device/driver?

Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have found out that the whole problem was down to Sunbelt Personal Firewall :upset: I can't believe I didn't think it could be that, but I noticed today in the list of connections it had one active with facebook.com, which I hadn't tried to log into for a long time, so somehow that was holding the connection back.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help and sorry for basically wasting your time. What would you recommend as the best free anti-virus/firewall? I switched to Comodo Free AntiVirus/Firewall for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.