Tech Support banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

One PC here is seen by the others, but it will not see local PCs? I have checked network discovery and services to no avail. It will see the NAS shared drive only.

I have an error code I will attach, and will consult Great God Google too. :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
40,769 Posts
Go to Settings/Network and Internet/Change connection Properties. Choose Private instead of Public.Restart the computer.
Press the Windows key+R. In the Run box type the computer name (ie) \\soniques and press enter. If this doesn't show the share.
Open the Run box again and type netplwiz and press enter. Highlight the Guest account and press the Reset Password button. You can leave all Password fields blank if you want. Apply and OK, restart your computer. Back at the desktop open the Run box again and type the computer name again as done previously.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is already Private network. I will give the rest of your suggestions a go. Thank you.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,074 Posts
Are all of the machines connected to the same network and is that network considered private by each and every machine?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will run them all up and makes notes, as I have noticed one other glitch from another PC. Stand by.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,074 Posts
Make sure that all are connected to the same network, whether that connection is via ethernet or WiFi, and that the properties for the network connection, whether it's ethernet or WiFi, is private.

The Private choice notes: For a network you trust, such as at home or at work. Your PC is discoverable and can be used for printer or file sharing if you set it up.

Note: Discoverable in this context has nothing whatsoever to do with Bluetooth discoverability. It's talking about your network, not Bluetooth.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'm going to leave this a short while. I am all ethernet connected, private network, discoverable by other devices at home network, but I have a smart modem that I am using as a switch, which just uses the LAN ports. If I look at my tree and get all proper switches, process of elimination will start. Only laptop is wi-fi. Sometimes I have to totally warm reboot a PC to be able to see NAS documents, even though I know V2004 Windows10 needs to use legacy SMB. I guess I need to know the BASIC services windows needs to run, and check if I have running in the Component Services list?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, only 2 PC's left now to upgrade to V2004 Windows. Major issue now is the NAS drive. While PC's start fine and I can see network peer to peer operating with one on ones, the NAS, although visible in Windows Explorer, and green, as mapped drive Z:, doesn't allow access to content directory when clicked on. In most cases (although not all) I HAVE TO RESTART with warm boot. Then the mapped drive Z:\ shows up in red, I click on it, and it complies with directory listing.
In services, I have activated all SMB legacy I can see, but obviously this is not solving the issue.
I have removed the smart modem running in switch (LAN) mode, but has not made any difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts