Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I have a problem that I wonder if anybody can help me with please!

I am running XP SP2, NOD32 antivirus and PCTools Spyware Doctor. Earlier today (after many pop-ups and redirects) NOD found a few viruses which it deleted. Spyware Doctor found some spyware/adware which it also deleted. Since then I have the following problem:

1. Certain websites work just fine. Certain ones never appear (just constantly trying to load). Certain ones are intermittent. For instance, If I try to google from google toolbar it works initially and then stops on a second or third search until I close IE and restart it. Certain websites will simply not appear at all.

2. Of the websites that I cannot load in my browser I can ping and tracert them from a dos box perfectly. The DNS resolves to an IP and vice versa. If I try and connect by entering their IP in IE it still doesn't work.

3. I have tried flushing the DNS cache. My hosts file is fine. My router is fine (my other machine connected to same router is just perfect). I have deleted temporary internet files and cookies. IE security settings are set to the lowest possible.

4. If I boot my machine in safe mode with networking then everything works just great!

5. I don't have any firewalls enabled.

6. If I disable NOD32, Spyware Doctor and the pop-up blocker from Google toolbar the result is the same.

7. I have tried the winsock fix util and it made no difference.

If it's any help, some of the viruses/trojans NOD32 found were "Adware.Agent.Nit" and "Win32/Privacy Set.A Trojan" along with something else that I *think* may have been called "Linda" or similar which is apparently a password catcher.

I really really need some help here! Sites that work perfectly on my other machine just do not work on this machine.

I guessed that removal of some adware earlier may have corrupted some registry entries or similar but I can't understand why it works fine in safe mode??

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have IE 7 by the way. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the IE support forums. I decided on here as it isn't IE Specific (It happens in Firefox as well).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I am experiencing similar symptoms except I can no longer browse any sites using either Firefox or IE. The problems started occurring after Norton quarantined a bunch of files due to Trojans on the computer that everyone is allowed to use (Teenagers, visitors etc.).

Symptoms:
Cannot resolve any website using the browsers listed above
Can still ping IPs
Can still ping names like yahoo.com
Bitlord can still open torrentman and do searches
IE and Firefox can still open the web agent in the local ADSL router using the IP address

The infection and subsequent failure occurred on an XP SP2 machine. Other machines on the same home network still work fine, but these machines have password protection and are used only for conservative stuff, for example no peer 2 peer, games, or porn.

Here are some attempts that didn’t work:
Installing SP 3
Resetting the Winsock catalog
Reinstalling the browser (Firefox 3.0)

I suspect that some internal settings in the registry or .dll files are so damaged due to the previous infections that all hope is lost and my only alternative is to reinstall XP in toto. Not my preferred solution but on a machine like this (I call it “la puta” because it is so promiscuous) I think you have to be prepared to reinstall XP fairly regularly.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top