Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this crazy virus on my computer the other day. so i decided to wipe my computer clean and pop my windows xp pro reboot disk in. it goes threw the process for about 10 min then says cmdide.sys error (256) line 5964 d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c. then says push any key to continue. then says installation failed press any key to restart computer.

any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Things like this usually happen when the CD ROM is going bad, the disc is scratched, or something of this nature. If you have another CD ROM, I would attempt to use it first, and if that doesn't work, check out your CD and see if it is dirty- try cleaning it with alcohol. If that doesn't work, you may want to try and find another disc to load XP with. From the path you give, this looks to be a restore CD- which if you have never used it, can suggest the image is bad (i.e., missing files like the one you need, etc.) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things like this usually happen when the CD ROM is going bad, the disc is scratched, or something of this nature. If you have another CD ROM, I would attempt to use it first, and if that doesn't work, check out your CD and see if it is dirty- try cleaning it with alcohol. If that doesn't work, you may want to try and find another disc to load XP with. From the path you give, this looks to be a restore CD- which if you have never used it, can suggest the image is bad (i.e., missing files like the one you need, etc.) Hope this helps.
do you think a can of air will help? if not how much is a cd rom? and is it hard to install?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.