Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm running Windows XP on my laptop and using a SimpleTech Signature Mini FS-U25 160GB external hard drive. I was watching some videos stored on the drive and performance was slow, so I restarted my computer. Now, the external drive will mount, and I can access any of the folders except for 2 of them. When I click on either of those, it kind of freezes and goes into the "Not Responding" mode. I've tried mounting the drive on other computers and using different USB cables, but still cannot get either of those 2 problem folders to open, or display property info, or anything basically. When I hover over the folder it says 0 bytes, but I know the files must still be there. Have a lot of family vids on there I'm hoping not to lose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Probably a bad sectors in the directory structure.. try r-studio or getdatback demos, scan the drive and see which one does the best job of picking up your files. Revocer them to another disk, then run MHDD ( www.hddguru.com ) and check for bad sectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm in the middle of final exams right now, so will have to wait to try this as I'm sure it will take a while to recover the vast amount of data missing and I don't want to run the risk of messing anything else up. Greatly appreciate the help though, I'll let you know...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Quote: sweeptheleg
"it kind of freezes and goes into the "Not Responding" mode".

Proceed with caution you may be backing up a virus, so keep this mind,
also I commend you on not doing this right now till you have the time
to beable to complete this correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.