Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am not able to ping other computers in the same workgroup whereas those computers can ping me very well. I have tried to disable firewall also but all in vain. I don't have any server installed in my network so far. Please help me out on this. Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you can't ping by name or IP address, top suspect is indeed a firewall. Hard to imagine any other cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Johnwill,:pray:

Actually, Sometimes my system is able to ping other system and sometimes it stops pinging the same systems without disabling or enabling my system's firewall. I have no idea why it's happening. If the firewall would have been a problem then my system should not ping other systems any given time. One more thing i would like to add, In spite of not pinging other systems, those systems are able to access the shared internet from system. Any comments...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
it's a little odd :)

you could check your routes using 'route print' and make sure there is nothing funny going on with the gateways etc (there should be none between two local systems, but stranger things seen i have :)

also, believe it or not, network cables flaked can do odd things, like cause an intermittent one way ping problem, are you wired or wireless? :)

also, this will seem like a stupid question, but you are running only the IP protocol on all the network clients or do you have a mix ?

finally, for the moment, exactly what error is ping reporting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for your reply Rivendale,

To answer your questions 1) My network is wired 2) I am running only Ip protocol on all the network clients and 3) Ping is reporting "Request time out" whereas sytem which is being pinged is pinging my system pefectely. I have checked it with "Route print" also. i am completely out of my wits.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Please provide an ipconfig /all info of one computer than can ping and one ipconfig /all of the problemtic computer.

Here's the guide: Click on Start => run and type the word cmd on run or search box then press enter. From the black screen(command prompt), type the word ipconfig /all and press enter. Right click on the black screen choose Select All and Paste the results here.

Please let us know.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
loveumax, i agree, in fact i think that reaction is normal :) as the problem is intermittent in nature, sometimes working and sometimes not, it is a recipe for driving one out of ones wits that's for sure! and furthermore in such a situation testing is almost pointless because the results are random, and looking for config errors seems fruitless when it's already worked! ahhhh! :) it's the "IT NIGHTMARE" all over again! :)

Ping is an interesting animal to test with. Ping checks by using the Internet Connection Management Protocol [ICMP] a common "portless" service used for testing.

ICMP Type 8 echo's are used for PING. there are more advanced analyzers you can load on both systems to get a step by step of the ICMP conversation

the first question i would ask it is, DOES the other system receive the ping request in the first place?

then if so, does it send a reply, then if so where etc....

i would agree with 2xg first however, a look at the IP config on both systems might be more revealing :)

might also be good to run some stress tests on the network with large file transfers and the like and make sure you are not getting too many errors at the link layer

intermittent problem can be caused by borderline physical connections

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.