Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my computer starts up (wind 98se) the network log on window pops up for my password. I no longer want it to do this. I cannot find where to cancel this. I've looked in my Password settings, the only tabs are User Profile and Remote Admin. And under the "Network" setting, in the "access control" tab, the shared access control is clicked.

Thanks for your input.

Inbliss

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
inbliss, whats up..
If you have network neighborhood icon on your desktop, right click on it, go to properties...look for primary network logon...change it from whatever you have on at the moment and then reboot and see if you get the prompt to log in. I think if you dont put in any passwords in the first time, it doesnt ask you to log in anymore. If you dont have that icon on your desktop, go to my computer, control panel and look for network icon in there.

HTH

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The usual way to get rid of the login prompt if you're not using the Microsoft Network Client is to erase all the *.PWL files in \WINDOWS first. This gets rid of any saved passwords, and then when you next boot up, leave the password blank.

Obviously, if there are other passwords saved for other users in the *.PWL files, they'll have to re-enter them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
run the registry editor and run a search for lmlogon.

if the value is 01 then change it to 00

there will be no login to network screen prompt coming whenever u start ur machine.

Regards,

Ramjeet

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your advice. Only one worked.

Merlin, the NN property change had no effect. Ramjeet, when I did a registry search for Imlogon it did not find this registry. It seemed like an excellent idea, don't know why it didn't show up? I would of bet on your idea but it was johnwill's suggestion that did it! When I did a search for *.pwl files I recognized the date when I incorporated this password and simply deleted that file only.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Inbliss

·
Registered
21 Posts
Inbliss you had mispelled the word thats the reason why you didnt found any entry.

The word is LMLOGON and not IMLOGON

anyways your problem is solved thats more important.

Since I had faced the similiar problem but in a reverse order and I did that option I had mentioned in the earlier post and it worked fine.

:bandit:

Regards,

Ramjeet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also regarding *.pwl file. This is the file where all the passwords are saved by windows.

Also all these have the entries in win.ini file as well. So instead of deleting the *.pwl file you edit the win.ini file and remove the password entries from the password list in the win.ini file which is mostly and the bottom most para in that file.

Regards,

Ramjeet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oops soory i mentioned the wrong file.

actually its not win.ini but system.ini file. It has a para named Password List

you can even remove the entries from here itself

Regards,

Ramjeet

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Ramjeet.

I will keep this info in my file for future use.

Johnwill still wins the car behind door number 3 but you and Merlin get extra points on Santa's list.

Inbliss :brush:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It also needed 8 batteries, smooth surface and not pets sniffing at it. It it hits something the air bag sends it reeling into the air and a parachute then explodes from the trunk. Here's the best part Merlin, while it is drifting down back to the ground a Barbie doll pops her head out of the driver's seat and giggles all the way back to the floor chanting "Oh my, Oh my!"

Speechless are yeh? Well listen Merlin dear at least Johnwill is having lots of fun right now.

Inbliss:brush:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
LOL, I want one of those. But instead of barbie, I want a GI Joe popping out and thowing little tiny hand grenades and have a little flare cannon coming out of fenders spewing out flares so heat seeking missile that are shot at him from the kitchen table cant hit him...whooohooooo :tongue2: :tongue2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Look for the NT domain under Network>Client for Microsoft/Netware Networks. Unselect that. If that don't do it, change Primary Network Logon to Windows Logon. With no password, you never see it anymore if you don't try to log into a NT server.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.