Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A folder (with many critical real estate photos, text, pdf, other folders, etc. inside) that I (stupidly) named "Backup" and placed in My Documents was given the extension ".bkf" by XP Prof. when I re-installed XP.
It won't open via the XP backup utility as it's simply a common
folder and not a ".bkf" file. How can I open this folder
now? How do I get XP to recognize it as a folder again? I've tried giving it a "doc", "txt", "jpg", "bin", extension but still can't open. It's merely a folder with no extension that was re-named by XP Prof. as a ".bkf". How do I make it a simple folder again so that I can access the critical data inside. HELP!

Much Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link . . . still, there's no existing recognized "folder" to take ownership of. It's sitting there on my desktop as an unrecognizable file with no extensions. It has over 1.67 gig of documents, photos, pdf, etc. inside that I need desperately.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but what happens if you take the extension away from it completely?

you could also try copying it and renaming it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish it were that easy. It was originally a very plain folder that XP gave the extension ".bkf" upon reinstallation of XP, probably due to its being named "Backup" by yours truly. Lesson learned, eh? I've tried opening it with other programs, but it's simply a folder with many docs, etc. inside that XP doesn't recognize as a folder. Maybe the XP Backup Utility changed something other than just adding the ".bkf" extension? After removing the ".bkf" extension, it just sits there on my desktop as an unrecognized (and unopenable) file when it was originally saved as a simple folder.

Thanks for trying

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try here.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/backup_overview.asp

*Right click, open up Properties, go to the General tab. Look under Type. If it doesn't say "folder", it isn't one. This is nothing to do with the name or extension, it is a reflection of what the thing really is.

For a second opinion, use the command prompt, and type dir "the name of the folder containing this BACKUP file". If BACKUP is not flagged with the word DIR in angle brackets, it's not a folder.

If it's not a folder, it's too late. There is no question of "getting Windows to recognize it". It's not a folder. It's unrelated to the folder you used to have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.