Tech Support banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a vintage laptop in a recycling locker I'd like to restore. It's an early 2000s Clevo/Sager, model D800P and appears to be complete. Weighs 11.8 lbs. This was TOTL back in the day. Problem is, it won't recognize and/or refuses to load a fresh copy of Windows XP Professional. Where do I take it next? Please refer to attachments:

DSCN6629 (2).jpg

DSCN6636.jpg

DSCN6641.jpg

DSCN6639.jpg

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,452 Posts
Without know what parts were installed, who manufactured what and what is defective it would be difficult to trace the problem. I would guess you haven't reached your SCSI adapter device limits.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,365 Posts
BIOS setup says IDE Channel 0 Master has no drive attached to it. The HDD, which is an IDE and not an SCSI drive, should be showing up there. See if you can change that setting from "none" to the option that befits an HDD. It looks like a changeable option to me, and the current setting of "none" is definitely an incorrect CMOS drive type setting for an HDD.

·
26,452 Posts
I misread but still want to question if XP is on the floppy, or is that just a boot disc? If XP, then Stan's drive change setting should allow the installation.

Reactions: manhattanman

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"It looks like a changeable option to me, and the current setting of "none" is definitely an incorrect CMOS drive type setting for an HDD."

It won't allow changes in bios.

Attachments

·
26,452 Posts
+ and - don't work?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"All items on this menu cannot be modified in user mode. If any items require changes, please consult your system Supervisor."

·
26,452 Posts
Since you don't know the old owner and can't get the Admin PW, you can remove the PW, but you know our RULES don't allow help with that. Try some Googling.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Assuming there even is a password, how would knowing it permit the system Supervisor to alter the HDD setting? I can't even access the OS!

Also, I don't have any other machines with PATA/IDE interface. Is there an adapter made that would permit it to run on a SATA interface?

·
26,452 Posts
There are adapters but there also still seems to be a Admin PW in effect.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,365 Posts
Assuming there even is a password, how would knowing it permit the system Supervisor to alter the HDD setting? I can't even access the OS!

Also, I don't have any other machines with PATA/IDE interface. Is there an adapter made that would permit it to run on a SATA interface?
Accessing the OS has nothing to do with the BIOS setup admin or supervisor passwords. Those are NOT the same as the Windows user account passwords. When you load BIOS setup, do you not get a prompt to choose how to access it, say as guest, admin or supervisor? If not, then one of the BIOS screens, probably named "Security" has options for switching users where you can log in as the admin or supervisor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it, folks! It needed a functional PATA/IDE HDD. I found a 20 GB Toshiba and reinstalled Windows XP Professional. No apparent issues, except I've forgotten how to get Windows XP online using a wireless connection. Any help will be appreciated.

Also, what's the most modern OS that can be used with a Intel Pentium 4, 3.20 GHz CPU? I've read Windows 10 can be installed on a 64 bit system if at least 2 GBs of RAM are used.

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

·
26,452 Posts
You can run Widows 10, but you won't be happy. For installing wi-fi on XP, type your router address>log in using the router username and PW>Enable wireless (after answering obvious questions).

·
26,452 Posts
What about running 8.1? Same issues? What OS would be most functional? Ubuntu?
No safe Windows System. You need 4GB of RAM for Ubuntu. I would post in our Linux forum for a good recommendation. You actually have too much hardware power for the really minimal Linux OSs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts