Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the hard drive in a Pentium 133 with Sanyo CD-ROM. Win98 boot disk error - couldn't find a driver for the CD-ROM. Bought used Sony CD-ROM Model CDU311, serial #5141795 thinking it was newer and Win98 would recognize. Same error. Any suggestions ?

S

·
0 Posts
Hello and Welcome to tech support forums

I am a little confused by your thread.

Could you please specify exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to load an operating system onto this machine?

SPEEDO

·
Registered
1 Posts
cd-rom driver

I'm familiar with this problem, and I'm still looking for a solution.

The problem is with an older computer that comes with and older cd-rom. When formatting the old hard drive, or replacing it with a new one you need to use a boot-up disk to start the computer "with cd-rom support", so you can load whatever os from the cd-rom. (once you have partitioned and formatted.)

The cd-rom drivers provided on a 98 start-up disk, and most others, doesn't load a driver that the old cd-rom can use I guess.

You get a " cd-rom driver not loaded properly" or something, and you start up without access to the cd-rom.

I've seen solutions on the driver.com site but I haven't downloaded any that would work for me.

If the moderator could find a way to fix this problem would you please email me the answer as well as posting it on this site?

Thanks.
[email protected]

S

·
0 Posts
Try resetting the CMOS................then auto detect the drives in the bios.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
thats odd as heck

i am not sure what you mean by older drives..
or older machines for that matter...

i have a few machines kicking around here, and they seem to have none of the problems that are mentioned here.

i have an old 100 mhz hp, and it boots fine from boot disk, even with an old 4x cdrom

i have a 233 mmx-2 and it has two 4x cdroms, and one is older than dirt, and they both boot just fine...

i have a cdrom that doesnt seem to be even a 4x, but it is even recognized by the boot disk.

maybe this is one of the really really old cd roms, like the original ide's before they went to EIDE.

even the 486 dx2 and dx4 i have with 4x cdroms work.

although, some of those sony drives i have seen sort of have to be plugged into the correct multimedia card. even though they have an ide cable socket, they arent really standardized. the only times i have seen this was with the old 486 dx-2-33 mhz compaq, that had a 4x sony in it and the matching sony sound/multimedia card.

if this is the problem, then you might try going to a used pc store, and buy a 5 dollar 4x mitsumi, samsung, or matsu****a drive...
the guy in my town has a stack of at least 35 of them, for 5 bucks each, thats why all the junkers i have have them installed.

they arent the best, but they work when booted from a floppy. even if they wont boot from cd. and they wont read some of the discs i burn, unless i use a typical joiliet/9660 standard. (9660? 9690? i cant remember, lol)

i cant seem to get any of the 4x or 6x drives to boot from a cd though, its like they cant do it.

maybe you have some stuff thats older than what i have here, but i have some real oldies...

and if you are trying to get anything that old to work, then i dont even know why...

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
Look at the date on these threads before you post because a lot of them are dead. Unless of course your trying to do uppity ups.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

oops.

i just changed my control panel settings to not show old threads.

i hope this doesnt happen again, (i am so embarassed)

LOL

~BoB~

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had the same problem with new CDRom and 98se too. I'm sure there is a much better way to do this but at the time I was morphing different older PCs. I ended up installing 98 on one pc and then moving the hard drive to another. It would have been a little easier to move the older CDROM to that PC and then switching it out after installing 98. I'm sure there is a better option but it took me an hour to do what I did vs. days looking for the fix.

If you have an older CDROM that might be your best option. Install 98s...install the new CDROM...install the new driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.