Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a totally new one on me. A lady friend calls up, want's to know how to remove the graphics on her desktop. She doesn't know who in the house put it on in the first place. Find out it's the Thatches Pattern. Talked her thru' going to where the Patterns can be changed, and instructed her to choose none. The pattern was still there. She double checked the setting, and was at none. Told her to do an F5... it didn't help. Told her to reboot... didn't help. Got her back into the Patterns, and talked her thru' removing/deleting all the patterns, and once again making sure the setting was to none, the pattern remained. Another reboot... the pattern remained. Talked her through deleting all the .bmps in Windows and it's subs... pattern still there. The wallpaper is set to none and Active Desktop and View as web page are disabled. What the He!! gives here? Where from and how is the pattern still showing up? I am totally floored by this one.

Anyone?

·
Registered
336 Posts
it might have something to do with Tiles and Patterns or whatever it is called in 98....where you can make just a small tile in the middle of the window or the entire screen. Perhaps she is doing the wrong one...i.e., keeps checking NO TILES instead of NO PATTERNS. (again, I can't remember what they are called so "tiles" might not be ther right word).

·
Registered
529 Posts
What color mode she running? Maybe you should turn it up above 256 color to a minimum of 16 bit color.

...that brings up a good point... she messing in the left or right pane? The left is the paturns and the right is the wallpaper (be it a straw mat or some topless girl.:tongue2: ).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I've seen this with my own eyes. In the patterns pane, there is absolutely nothing listed except (none). In the background pane, there is nothing listed except (none). I tried different color bitrates, different refresh rates, different resolutions. and all to no avail. This thing is just plain EVIL. How the Hell can it remain?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thought, but we already deleted ALL graphics files which were not, "user created". I'm stumped. I hates bein' stumped.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try downloading your favorite theme and installing it. Will it cover/remove that paturn?

I would like to see a screenshot (if they will let you post one, and I think they will).
If you don't know how to take a screenshot, you can hit PrintScreen and then paste the resulting image into Paint.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HMMM... the Themes were never installed, but you may have a good idea (well atleast it's something I/we haven't tried) to try and "jog" this thing back to normal. I'll install the themes, and apply one for her tomorrow, and see what happens. I'll report back.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just find and put a walpaper up. Even one of those user-made drawings.:winking:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.