Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new P4 3.2E socket 478 cpu but after I installed it it couldn't boot up. I hear no beeping sound but cpu fan does spin. My mother board is Soyo P4X400 DRAGON Lite and it said it does support P4 cpu with 478 socket. Are there anything that I can do to fix it or just the cpu itself isn't working?? Thx !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh no wonder it doesn't work, thx for pointing that out. So now all I can do is to upgrade my motherboard too right? If so then I have few more questions to ask,
1. If I change my motherboard and cpu does a format require?
2. Does this motherboard (Asus P4P800 SE i865PE) work well with the cpu I got? If not any suggestion?
3. Are there any other thing that I need to know before buying or installing this new motherboard?

Thx alot for paying attentoin to my post !

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
1. It would be highly advisable to re-install the OS. You might be able to just install the new MB and CPU but the outcome may be less than pleasant.

2. The Asus P4P800 SE works with the CPU you purchased.
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800 SE&langs=09

3. This is a dual channel motherboard and when running an 800MHz FSB CPU you usually need to use at least PC3200 (DDR400) memory. Otherwise the memory FSB will downgrade to the speed of the memory modules and this could affect the performance of the system. Dual channel memory requires modules to be installed in pairs. This means the memory must be installed as a dual channel kit, not individual pieces. While you can use individual memory modules, if they are not exactly the same in speed and latency, the system may become unstable and unusable. If this was the case you can configure it to run in single channel mode. This, too, can affect the performance of the system.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does 2 exactly the same but not dual-channel memory work differently than dual-channel memory? Because i'm using 2x [Samsung 512MB (PC-3200) DDR400] and thinking if I can just replace them to the new motherboard instead of buying a set of new memory. Thx !

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You don't need new memory. All you need are two sticks which are the same. Sticks sold as dual channel memory are often just two identical sticks which are the exact same speed when tested. With the cheaper RAM I think they just put two of the same sticks in the same package and call them dual channel rather than speed matching them. Speed matched sticks are used primarily by overclockers who want to push the sticks to their maximum speed which would be limited by the slower of the two.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

if you use SYSPREP prior to removing your hard drive you will not need to reinstall nor reformat for windows / I have done this many times / you will however need to load all drivers as needed for any of your PCI slot componets , chipset drivers for your mobo / the standard stuff !!

here is a link you may want to read (this process is very painless) / enjoy

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

regards

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.