Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PC has told me that there's an important Windows 7 update to install, but whenever I try, I'm told that the installation has failed.

Attached is the pop up I get with the details of the failure.

Any ideas how I can remedy the error? Thanks.

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
sqmapi.dll is located in C:\Windows\System32
Do you have a copy of it located there?
Do you know someone with Windows 7 who has the same bits (32 or 64) as you? If they don't have Service Pack 1 installed you can probably use a copy from theirs.

Have you installed all other Windows Updates and reboot the system?
Have you updated your drivers to ensure that there's no conflict with older drivers on the system?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sqmapi.dll is located in C:\Windows\System32
Do you have a copy of it located there?
No, I didn't find either a file or a folder named that.

Do you know someone with Windows 7 who has the same bits (32 or 64) as you? If they don't have Service Pack 1 installed you can probably use a copy from theirs.
No, sorry, don't.

Have you installed all other Windows Updates and reboot the system?
Have you updated your drivers to ensure that there's no conflict with older drivers on the system?
When I install Windows updates, and update drivers, I often get failure messages (perhaps because of this same error?).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Visiting BSOD Expert, Microsoft Support Team
781 Posts
Have you modified this Windows 7 install in any way to make it lighter with 3rd party tools? That might help us determine what (if anything) you're missing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not knowingly, no.

As a followup, my monitor goes into power save whenever windows starts. I'm writing this on a smartphone. I've started a separate thread for that on TSF however, but I thought it could also be indicative of this issue as well. Thanks.

·
Visiting BSOD Expert, Microsoft Support Team
781 Posts
Honestly, it probably is. System File Checker is the first thing I'd recommend, and after that driver updates to be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.