Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Geforce 7600GS PCIE 512MB and I can't seem to get the drivers to install. I've been using a 6600GT AGP 128mb, so I was looking forward to the upgrade, but when I go to install the Driver it stops near the end. It says it needs to restart to finish the install and when I restart after the windows load screen my computer just stops instead of going to my windows user account screen. I can't boot back into windows without hitting the use last known working config, which results in still no drivers.

I've tried installing in safe mode and it says driver installed, but can't install nvidia control panel. I go to reboot and once again can't boot into normal without hitting last known config. I have no idea where to go from here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got a Geforce 7600GS PCIE 512MB and I can't seem to get the drivers to install. I've been using a 6600GT AGP 128mb, so I was looking forward to the upgrade, but when I go to install the Driver it stops near the end. It says it needs to restart to finish the install and when I restart after the windows load screen my computer just stops instead of going to my windows user account screen. I can't boot back into windows without hitting the use last known working config, which results in still no drivers.

I've tried installing in safe mode and it says driver installed, but can't install nvidia control panel. I go to reboot and once again can't boot into normal without hitting last known config. I have no idea where to go from here.
You need to properly install the display driver. On your desktop uninstall your current driver.
Downoad DriverSweeper first and go to nvidia website and download the latest driver for your new card. NEVER use the CD that came in the box.
Right click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > expande the Display Adapters > right click on your current card and click uninstall; also, tick the "Delete the driver software for this device" then restart.
Boot to Safe Mode > Open DriverSweeper > Tick the nvidia display and click Clean for several times. After that restart our computer.
Once you get back to your desktop, install the display driver that you got from nvidia.
Once done, restart your computer, and you should be fine after that.

Do you know what version your XP is???
here are the links for Win XP
Driversweeper : http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
x86 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html
x64 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_185.85_whql.html
Gamble, double check the links for your driver. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Hope this will help you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that and its still not working. Everytime I try to install the drivers it gets to I'd say 80% or so and then says The service Nvsvc cannot be successfully started. It then tells me to reboot so setup can finish installing, but then it won't load past the windows load screen. I've read on other sites that installing the drivers and physx separately can work, but no idea what physx even is

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tried that and its still not working. Everytime I try to install the drivers it gets to I'd say 80% or so and then says The service Nvsvc cannot be successfully started. It then tells me to reboot so setup can finish installing, but then it won't load past the windows load screen. I've read on other sites that installing the drivers and physx separately can work, but no idea what physx even is
I don't think your 7600 can support PhysX. It has to be 8 series or later model.
Dude, you have to wait. When you say Windows load screen are talking about the "Welcome" screen, you know the blue-ish screen before desktop.

Uninstall your display driver (and Nvidia PhysX) and delete their folder in C:\NVIDIA in Safe Mode and restart boot to Safe Mode again and use DriverSweeper and Restart your PC. Once you are on your desktop, go to control panel and make sure you don't have these drivers "NVIDIA PhysX" and "NVIDIA Display (under nvidia drivers.)"

If you don't see them then make a "New folder" on your desktop and move the new nvidia driver into that New folder. Once done, right click on the new driver and click "Extract Here"(make sure you have WinRar installed.)

Once done, you will see a bunch of stuff in the New Folder. Look for "setup" and "NvCplsetupEng" and install them. Install the "setup" first because that is your display driver and then the "NvCplsetupEng" this is your Nvidia Control Panel.

Make sure you DON'T INSTALL or TOUCH the "PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware" because I think that is the one that causes the problem.

Back to long loading screen. That loading screen is where Windows loads all the drivers and stuff. Therefore, if something goes wrong with the drivers or some bugs, it will load really slow. Sometimes it takes like 30minutes or longer.

Let me asked you this, when you don't install any display driver, can you get to your desktop without a problem???

EDIT: I almost forgot to tell you what PhysX is. PhysX is like Physics. If you play video games, you will see some when someone got killed and their body dropped like a ragdoll, a headshot and the body splattered on the wall, or clothing tears like naturally and so on..
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_physx.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
Here some video example: YouTube - Mirror's Edge - PhysX Comparison (Game Trailer HD)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried exactly what you said and still the same error. which then doesn't let me install the control panel since display drivers are not installed. I still let it restart to see if it would go through. I let my computer sit there for 2 hours and nothing loaded. it doesnt make it to the user account screen btw. after the windows load bar page it just stops. Before attempting to install display drivers yes i can get to my desktop fine. But yeah I did not touch physx at all. I made sure all the previous drivers were gone and then extracted the driver to a brand new folder. I ran setup.exe and I got the same error I've been getting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tried exactly what you said and still the same error. which then doesn't let me install the control panel since display drivers are not installed. I still let it restart to see if it would go through. I let my computer sit there for 2 hours and nothing loaded. it doesnt make it to the user account screen btw. after the windows load bar page it just stops. Before attempting to install display drivers yes i can get to my desktop fine. But yeah I did not touch physx at all. I made sure all the previous drivers were gone and then extracted the driver to a brand new folder. I ran setup.exe and I got the same error I've been getting.
"Before attempting to install display drivers yes i can get to my desktop fine."Alright it seems like driver issue to me. Get the older drivers and do the same thing. Go back to safe mode and uninstall the display driver, boot back to safe mode and use DriverSweeper and click Clean several times. Boot to your desktop, and go to Control Panel. Look for NVIDIA Drivers, and uninstall the "display driver" if you see it there. If you see it there, uninstall it, and boot back to safe mode and use DriverSweeper again. Boot back to your desktop and download the 17x.xx driver here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx make sure check the compatibility to your card of the driver you're downloading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.