Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's te story. I started having porblems with win2k (computer rebooting with certain movies /applications) so I installed Linux on a separate partition. Then, I re-installed w2k, but the problem persisted. I assumed it was the "mblast" worm that was responsible, so I went through the whole Service Pack 4 + Security Patch + different virus detection software. The S. Pack worked for the drag'n drop and cut'n paste issue, but it still kept rebooting. It was only the "Stinger" virus detection app that detected a "worm.nachi" (the infected file was a fake svhost.exe). It said it fixed it, but the problem persisted. Any time I tried to upload FTP, it would sistematically reboot.... Linux, on the other partition, worked ok. I went nuts for a couple of days, then decided to go all the way and format the whole HD, install win98 on a single partition (fdisk, removed linux and formatted) ... The installation of win98 went ok, until I got the "Blue screen" on first boot. I couldn't get past the Date &Time setup, it was either blue screen, or reboot. Messages on the blue screen included some VxD, so I removed RAM, exchanged Dimms, tried everything, reinstalled again, but the problem persisted. Now I installed Linux on the whole HD but I really need Win for work. Linux runs fine, so I doubt it is a hardware problem. I have my dad's comp hooked to mine trough Lan... I just installed msn6 (yes... its sad) on it and guess what.... blue screen of death. Now it cant connect to the internet either. I want to keep Linux but I stil need windows, any f"·$ng way.... Please help, this sucks

AMD DURON 1.1GHZ
256 + 128 133 DIMMs
PCCHIP'o 810
30 GB 7200 MAXTOR

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a similar issue almost 2 years ago with WinXP, boot with a Win98 bootdisk and then wipe and re-create your paritions from scratch, something in the low level parition is hosed, its not really windows fault ;-) I think once you do that you should be fine. Linux is running fine because you're forced to re-create the partitions from scratch, therefore no disk corruption. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. Sorry to hear about your problems :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.