Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is really bugging me >_<

recently in an attempt to upgrade my brothers PC i have managed to make it useless. my plan was to take all plugs out of his machine and take the case and contents away, replacing it with a faster machine (300mhz --> 466mhz)

first problem was the OS on the new machine, as it was from my step fathers work it had an OS on already. only problem was it had a password which nobody knew... so my next plan was to boot from a floppy disk and format the hard drive, having successfully formatted the drive with an old win95 startup disk i proceeded to insert the win 2000 CD and use it to boot and install a new OS.

first install nothing happened... thinking how stupid i was i restarted and went to change startup settings to boot from CD. some reason there isnt an option to boot from a CD, only hard drive and floppy (A:\) i keep getting a "non system disk or disk error" when i start up now and have no idea what i can do to make it able to boot from a CD. all other PCs in the house use XP Home and dont have a floppy drive so unless i can get it to boot from a CD somehow i dont see how i can get an OS installed.

anyone able to offer ideas to try that might help me get the PC running again?

thanks for anyones help/ideas
Tom

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
TAC84 said:
first install nothing happened... thinking how stupid i was i restarted and went to change startup settings to boot from CD. some reason there isnt an option to boot from a CD, only hard drive and floppy (A:\) i keep getting a "non system disk or disk error" when i start up now and have no idea what i can do to make it able to boot from a CD. all other PCs in the house use XP Home and dont have a floppy drive so unless i can get it to boot from a CD somehow i dont see how i can get an OS installed.
Check the BIOS to see if the CD drive shows in the list of drives.

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
If you have a windows 98 boot floppy available,you can boot with CDROM support
to get the CD running.
Your best bet is to download and make the windows 2000 boot floppies
and use them.
You can download at www.bootdisk.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crazijoe - i have but there is no option to boot from a CD in the BIOS, options are floppy, c: or network something or other

leroys1000 - i had the same idea and i would if i could, like i said in the original post that is the only computer with a floppy lol... do i can only download it to a CD... except it dont read CDs lmao.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Even a PC that old should have the option to boot from a CD. Check for something like ATAPI Drive in the BIOS.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I guess what I meant to say is check to see if the BIOS auto detects the drive. If it doesn'y and it doesn't show with the other drive, it could be a defective drive or a bad cable.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Get yourself a floppy drive and cable for $10 bucks and stick it in there. Then you can boot it to DOS and do your install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.