Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I'm really having some hardware troubles, but I don't know what still after experimenting with it for many hours....

there's something wrong with this computer that just stops me from successfully installing an OS on it to use it. when I try to install win98/2000/XP (tried all) it'd just stop somewhere in the middle and crash. like in XP it'd be that dark blue screen (the "STOP" screen), sometimes it says ntfs.sys problem, sometimes it says win32.sys problem, etc. etc. I think it's just random.

at first, I thought it was hdd problem, after many experiments including hdd tools from the manufacturer web site etc. I concluded that the hdd indeed had problems. so I bought some new hdds, still no luck.

then I thought it was my memory, because every time after one of these crashes happen, when I reboot, the memory check at bootup won't go up to the max fully. (but at first bootup it'd be fine) I have two 512 memory stick, so I pulled out one and left just one to see. tried on both DIMM1 and DIMM2 slots. tried both memory stick. no luck. unless both memory sticks AND both the DIMM1&2 ports happen to be broken (not so likely?), one of them should've worked.

and all the weird errors happen during installation. sometimes it'd just hang where you choose what language to install. sometimes it'd say every single hardware on the computer doesn't pass that windows logo test thing on XP install. sometimes it will get through a lot, even till after entering the serial number, and crash somewhere after when installing files.

:confused: :confused:

does anyone have any clues which part of my computer has problems? I'm really frustrated now :upset:

thanks in advance.

-agum

·
Registered
40 Posts
have u tried a different ide cable? Extremely simple yet easily overlooked. Have u also tried a new ATA Controller Card? Try swapping the cd-rom drive. If none of that works. Than it's prolly ur motherboard.

Another trick can be creating u a setup INF file for the install so it installs as fast as possible. My computer freezes up in the middle of OS installs. I usually have to try to install it as fast as possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the new hdd I'm trying with is actually a Serial ATA one. I have both onboard SATA ports and a PCI RAID controller card, and have tried using SATA ports on both of them, with same results.

don't have another cdrom drive to test with right now.. I might try it when I can get ahold of one.

how do you create a setup INF file?

another thing: do you think the memory checks stops at reboots mean any problems with the memory?

thanks for the help! greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
memory checks stopping dont necessarily mean problems with the memory. The bios may be misconfigured. One of my PCs would always keep restarted the check and i thought it was a prob with the memory. But when i changed the bios settings back to the way they originally were, the problem went away.

And as for the Setup INF file... I'll have to get back to you on that one. I haven't made one since windows 98.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never really changed the BIOS settings except: boot sequence, enabling/disabling Onboard Serial ATA controller, en/dis graphical bootup and quick bootup.

I'll wait for your reply on the setup INF, and will try to get another cdrom to play with too. thanks.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Since this clearly appears to be hardware, why not start there? Of course, it would be helpful to know some specifics about the hardware you're using, since that appears to be where the problem lies. :rolleyes:

I'd reset the BIOS to factory defaults, and download and run www.memtest86.com overnight to eliminage memory. I'd also use one memory module for the installation, no sense adding variables.

After the memory is laying flat, download a disk diagnostic from the maker of your drive and run the complete diagnostic on the drive.

Remove EVERYTHING you don't need to do the installation, this includes stuff like sound cards, modems, etc.

Try the installation after these steps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.