Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after I power up my computer I hear 2 quick beeps then the black screen reads...
CMOS settings wrong
CMOS date/time not set
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue

I have tried pressing F8 to get into safe mode and run virus scan, but can't even get into safe mode. It asks be to put my floppy boot disk in, but after doing that I still can't get to the desktop.

I noticed that in my BIOS the boot sector virus protection is disabled. Not sure if that's normal. I am running an ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe mother board.
Think I need to reinstall windows or is there an easier fix? :4-dontkno

·
UK
1,142 Posts
I would suggest popping the main-board battery out for 30 minutes (which should clear all memory of old CMOS settings) and then replace, making sure the battery is good, and is making a sound connection. Restart and see what happens.

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK. A friend of mine also said that the battery is likely the problem. So I pulled the old one for at least an hour, replaced it with a new one and restarted a few times. I power up and it says "Scanning IDE Drives", then it reads "error Loading OS_". I let it sit with "error Loading OS_" for 5 minutes but nothing happens. I tried physically turning off the machine and starting it up again but each time it gets to the same stopping point.

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a Windows XP repair (with my XP CD-ROM) and the computer works fine with just my program "C" drive connected. But when I reconnect my other 2 internal drives I get this "Error Loading OS_" message when I start up the computer. Strange. :4-dontkno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.