Tech Support banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a self-built system running Windows 11 and I can't get into the BIOS to make some changes. I was having this issue long before installing 11.
The specs are:
Asus Z170-A Intel Socket 1151
3.7 Ghz. dual core 5th Gen Processor
8 gigs DDR 4 @ 3000
NVIDIA GTI 1660 Ti 6 Gigs DDR 6
750 Watt PSU
I had an older video card that I swapped the GTI out for and as soon as I installed it I lost my audio, I was using a Creative Soundblaster card and even after reinstalling all of the drivers I still have issues with the sound clipping, and it's really distorted. I even took out the sound card and uninstalled the drivers for it.
If I shut my computer down overnight and reboot it the next morning, it won't boot into windows unless I hit the reset button. It no longer shows that it's going into POST, and it goes straight into the login screen.
I have tried holding down either the F2 and Delete button when I first power on the system, and if I do that, it won't boot at all until I press the reset button.
The only thing that I haven't done is reset the RTC clock to see if I can get into the BIOS that way.
Is there any other thing that I can try? I'm waiting on parts for a new build but I want to be able to get into the setting on this one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,221 Posts
Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>under Advanced, Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>UEFI Firmware Settings>Restart

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,221 Posts
Moving thread to Windows 11.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,346 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically what I said is shown here for Windows 11:Bios via Windows
I have tried both F2 and the Del button, and neither work. Nothing that has been suggested to get into the BIOS works. I haven't reset the RTC clock yet, and that is my next attempt to get into the BIOS.
If that doesn't work, I'll have to send the Mobo in to be fixed.

·
8,346 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You do not need to press [F2] or [Del] to enter the BIOS if you set it up from within Windows. See above link.
I'll give it a try in a bit. I tried using the recovery in 10 but my system would not boot at all, and I had to hit the reset button to get back into windows. My system no longer shows a POST screen when I try to log into windows.
One thing that bugged me was when I shut my system down for the night, the next day when I went to boot it it would just sit there, and I had to hit the reset button before it would boot back into windows.

·
8,346 Posts
If you were not wearing an anti-static wrist band (or similar) it may be due to an ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). I've seen it blow a hole completely through a chip on a motherboard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you were not wearing an anti-static wrist band (or similar) it may be due to an ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). I've seen it blow a hole completely through a chip on a motherboard.
I have an ESD strap, but I wasn't wearing it that day. I do however touch the metal part of the case before I handle any peripherals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts