Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have win XP, and I noticed recently that when I delete files (I've deleted more than 1 gig of stuff, AND I cleaned the recycle bin afterwards), my system's reported free space did not increase! What's going on here? I've turned off windows indexing service already, so I don't know what else to do to reclaim my free space

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I have. In general, defrag doesn't free up space anyway. It just rearranges data. My guess is that somehow XP keeps a copy of the deleted stuff somewhere that I can't see. I don't know which of XP's annoying features does this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FOUND IT!

It was my stupid Norton Protected recycling bin that's the culprit. Even after I cleaned the bin, Norton keeps certain files protected. Well, I've turned that off now and everything is as it should.

·
Registered
89 Posts
might also be woth running chdsk, as damaged FAT tables can cause incorrect drive spae returns (although running XP you prob have NTFS)

Although i suspect that a damaged NTFS table 9does such a thing even exist) could cause incorcet free space...........

juts my 2 cent's, i mean pennys, goddam euro!!

DoZZa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.