Tech Support Forum banner

Can't Format/Partition HD after Killdisk

10783 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  nortrek
So here is a little background before I ask my question.

I have a crappy little HP Compaq Pressario F700 from Walmart (All I could aford at the moment). I can't buy new P.C. games for it because it simply doesn't have the graphic cahonies to play them.

Latley it has been lagging a bit and I kept getting redirected mostly from wellaction. I tried everything to get rid of it but nothing worked. So I figured I'd move all essential files onto my External Tbyte Drive (Which I did) and install a clean version (With no HP tainting) onto it and hopefuly that will clear up the issues not to mention anyclogging in the arteries that occured with use.

I wanted to get rid of all the partitions they placed on the drive and format it so that when I install windows 7 it can have a nice blank slate to work with.

So I d/led "Killdisk" (Nice name right? sounds bad already). which did it's job wonderfuly. it wiped out all formating and partitions. Which I wanted. Unfortunatly thats all it does.

As an Added bonus (I looked it up this happens to be the problem for a lot of owners) the Disc Drive failed. So now I essentialy have a bulky Netbook. So I bought an external Disc Drive and no problem works wonderfuly.

Unfortunaly when I went to install Windows it now won't recognize the external disc drive. Ok I thought that might happen it doesn't have the brains to know how to handel it with out the O.S. so I moved it over to a bootable USB drive (8Gig) and it works great. Any computer I plug it into it loads right away and tried to do it's job.

But when I plug it into the laptop I need to install it on it can't because it says the drive isn't partitioned to be bootable. Why it can't do that from the windows install disc I don't know but it can't.

But it recognized the USB key and tried to install from it so thats something! So next step I d/led and tried about half a dozen Formating/Partitioning software on bootable USB drives to try to get them to do what I need in order to install windows.

Well none of them would get recognized. A small side note I used a different utility from Killdisc on my desktop (Even older then my laptop) when I was testing my windows installation to make sure everything worked correctly. it wouldn't work on my laptop which is when I got killdisc.

I would simply move my Desktop and use it except Windows 7 doesn't recognize my Lynksys G PCI card (Aperently it's nor supported and Lynksys could care less). I have read that PCI cards don't have much of a shelf life but it worked fine the same day with Vista installed on the drive.

So I can't seem to get a formating utility to boot on my laptop in order to get windows to install. It keeps saying "Remove any media and press any key to continue" then when I do it just says "Operating System Not Found" DUH! I was going to install windows on an external drive (Maxtor 3200) but I can't get any computer to recognize it and I tried some Seagate utilities to try to get it to work. I can't find the original drivers (Which probably only work for XP anyways) so thats a no-go.

It seems every time I look up formating and partitioning it is explained from inside windows and not at start up. So I figured I could simply install windows on the External boot it up on the laptop then format the internal drive and then install windows on it, but since the external won't register thats not going to work. I am now wondering if I can get windows to install on a USB (I have a 2 Gig and an 8 Gig) then maybe it will boot up and allow mw to format the drive. I'm not sure if that will even work though.

I am not sure why it recognizes the windows USB drive and simply won't install because the drive is "Unallocated" but won't recognize any bootable formating tools.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give I have been working on this for a couple of days now. Unfortunaly I don't remember any of my specs. It's an HP Compaq Pressario F700 from Wal-Mart bought about 8 Mos ago I am sure the specs for it are somewhere it's stock right now so no mods to it.
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Does the internal drive show in BIOS? Killdisk only writes data tot he user data area, overwriting everything on the disk. The windows boot disk should have no trouble with that drive. When kildisk is finished, the drive is excactly the way it is when it left the factory. I do know some of the older presarios had part of the CMOS in a hidden partition on teh hard drive, and blanking the HD would present some issues relaoding, but I haven't seen that in several years. Is your Windows disk an original disk, and is it OEM, retail or upgrade?
:4-thatsba
Does the internal drive show in BIOS? Killdisk only writes data tot he user data area, overwriting everything on the disk. The windows boot disk should have no trouble with that drive. When kildisk is finished, the drive is excactly the way it is when it left the factory. I do know some of the older presarios had part of the CMOS in a hidden partition on teh hard drive, and blanking the HD would present some issues relaoding, but I haven't seen that in several years. Is your Windows disk an original disk, and is it OEM, retail or upgrade?
The BIOS doesn't register the drive as far as I can tell but then since it's "Unallocated" I expect that might be the problem.

It loads it enough to tell me "Operating System Not Installed" so I expect it knows it's there and just doesn't know how to handel it.

I don't have a factory Boot Disc and as I explained the Cd/Dvd drive is busted now and only serves to keep the dust out fo the hole it's installed in now.

I got a full version of Windows 7 to put on it. I know it's not the install disc because it worked on my desktop just fine.

It's on a bootable USB right now because it's the only thing my laptop will recognize to boot from other then a floppy (Which doesn't even come on most computers nowdays and certainly not mine), USB (Which I am using), and HDD.

The only problem is for some reason the Windows install expect the drive to be formated and partitioned before it will install instead of doing it for me first.

All my attempts to use a format/partition utility on it have failed. It just seemed to ignore the programs and acts as if they are extranious programs even when I make them bootable from start up (Or so the utilities say when I try them).
See less See more
The BIOS doesn't care what is on the disk, it is only looking for the disk, make sure the drive is seated properly. Does BIOS show none or what does it show for the disk? What is the make and model of the disk? Remove and reinsert the disk. Until BIOS sees the drive, nothing will install to it. A brand new drive from the factory is exactly like yours. Go into setup and see if it shows as anything and what name it has, and if it has the same capacity. If windowes is expecting the drive to be formatted then you have an upgrade version, not a full install retail.
The BIOS doesn't care what is on the disk, it is only looking for the disk, make sure the drive is seated properly. Does BIOS show none or what does it show for the disk? What is the make and model of the disk? Remove and reinsert the disk. Until BIOS sees the drive, nothing will install to it. A brand new drive from the factory is exactly like yours. Go into setup and see if it shows as anything and what name it has, and if it has the same capacity. If windowes is expecting the drive to be formatted then you have an upgrade version, not a full install retail.
Well I have taken the HD drive out a couple of times and reseated it. It hasn't helped much. the BIOS is a bit odd from what I am used to. Usualy I see the HD on the first menu screen but it only shows the processor info there. I go to the boot screen where on some screen shots I have seen the HD's listed and it doesn't list one.

I would agree with you on the upgrade except I just installed it onto a formated HD on my dektop. It was completly erased and the partitions were broken and reformed a couple of times so it didn't upgrade any exsisting Windows it did a full install onto a blank drive.

Difference was I didn't use Killdisc I used another utility. Unfortunaly that utility wouldn't work for some reason on my Laptop so I got the Killdisc utility not knowing that after I formated with it, that I couldn't reassign a partition and primary drive with it. Yes it was a lack of reserch on my part there but I didn't think somebody would make a formating utility that didn't actualy reformat.
See less See more
Hi, Darth...
you should not have to use an external hard disk to fix your computer.

Look on the bottom of the case- you should see a little box lid, with two screws on it.

Undo the screws and you will see your hard drive. It simply slides out in reverse.

Now- either go to Fry's and buy another drive and make sure you have your Windows 7 disk available.

I cannot go into detail about how to remove your former drive, but you will experience difficulty when attempting to install on an external disc- I do not even think it can be done.

If you would of simply put your new "7" disc in the CD rom and turned your computer on with it in the drive, it would of asked if you wanted to boot to your pc.

All of your partitions could of easliy been deleted and 7 would of formated and prepared your former drive easily.

In fact, I think you cn do that now, put your disk in and try to boot to it. Follow the instructions on the screen. Hit a key when the instalation prompts for it.

No big shake. get back with me if I can help.

--nortrek:eek:
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.