Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I booted up my laptop this AM the wireless indicating light never turned blue. No matter which way I set the switch it stayed amber..

Went into Device Manager but it was not there. Ran "find new hardware" to no avail. Tried installing manually but it continued to indicate there was no card present.

Removed the card, rebooted and tried reinstalling, but the same thing, no card.

So if it's dead and needs to be replaced, BFD, it's like twenty bucks, however if it's OK, and someone has an idea, like Obama, I'm all ears!!

Thanks,

David
Palm Beach, FL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, your right,lol. If I knew someone with a pci-e laptop I would try it, however I don't so I'll just use the USB back up until I tire of one more thing hanging off the machine and spring for the new card.

I'd go right now, but I am trying to decide if a N card is worth it. When away from home I use Panera or any place else with a hot spot. However I don't see these places getting new equipment just so people can use more of their bandwidth. After all from their point of view (and probably correctly)people generally just want to check mail or do some shopping, not DL Gone with the Wind

Thanks again,

David
Palm Beach, FL

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
you are definitely correct. there is not much free wireless hotspots to go to now. in fact when i am on the road, i'd rather have a service from Verizon or something similar. i know it is not as fast as being wired but i think it is enough for email and TSF stuff (yes, not for downloading Gone with the Wind :laugh:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are definitely correct. there is not much free wireless hotspots to go to now. in fact when i am on the road, i'd rather have a service from Verizon or something similar. i know it is not as fast as being wired but i think it is enough for email and TSF stuff (yes, not for downloading Gone with the Wind :laugh:)

Well Panera Bread has wifi in all their stores, and I think there are a couple thousand. Nevertheless if you google hotspots, wifi, etc. you will find dozens of sites which list them in every way posible (zip code, town name, business name, etc.)

Here, West Palm Beach there are a dozen places I know of. I watched the Stupid Bowl and my Giants beat up on New England. They thought it would be a walk in the park (Hello, Hillary??) at a wired sports bar. 50+" plasma and on line every second. I was in heaven, lol. Even Palm Beach (what we locals call "The Island") with all it's mansions and compounds (Rush Limbaugh has a small town on the Ocean,lol) there are a few. Around here, SE Florida, I doubt there is a town without one, not to mention the County libraries.

In the end I'd rather sit at Parera with fresh coffee and cute teenage girls then a hotel room, one step above solitary.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on my DV9815, my WLAN is always amber, and i log on the home network fine, on built in wireless. Are you using expresscard wireless?

Oh now THAT is interesting......I've been thinking it MIGHT be the switch, but have fought the temtation to open it up. A desktop, sure, laptop I could become too wise by half,lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.