Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this problem started when i hooked an IDE hard drive up to my computer that runs a maxtor 80gb SATA HD in order to access the IDE one. All went well with that. Problem started when i unhooked the IDE hard drive and tried to reboot my computer. At first i was getting stuck on the blue windows screen that says windows xp and pops up right before you get to choose which user account you want to log in to. it would sit there for hours without ever loading. then after trying a few different things i hooked the IDE hard drive up and the computer booted right up. i tried a bunch of different options with the system bios, but still nothing. finally i tried resetting the system defaults for the bios. with everything hooked back up the way it was originally and my fingers crossed, i rebooted. now i get a screen saying," Diskette Drive 0 seek failure. Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility." I've tried safe mode and it doesn't work either.
If somebody could please help i would be so appreciative. I just want my computer back!
Sincerely,
ScottyG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the fixboot and i also was able to disable the floppy drive which apparently was enable when i reset the system defaults in the bios. now instead of getting the "Diskette Drive 0 seek failure" screen, i'm back where i started: at the blue windows xp screen with the windows logo. its the screen right before you pick which user account you log onto. when i press alt+tab there are apparently two screens, one saying "windows logon" and the other saying "log into windows". I can switch between the two but nothing happens. the computer just stays on that blue screen. remember that all these problems started happening once i had hooked up an IDE HD to the computer to fix a problem on that harddrive. does my computer still think there are two harddrives hooked up with two seperate xp os'? i can't figure it out. somebody please help me save my pc!
sincerely,
scottyg

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
does my computer still think there are two harddrives hooked up with two seperate xp os'?
Yes, if the 2nd HDD had an OS installed on it. The best solution is to connect the IDE drive to and external HDD to USB adapter.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
My impression is that your computer defaulted to the IDE which they do many times when you use Sata and IDE together. When you made the change, it still is set to one of the IDE type drives as the default (which is no longer there). Just for the sake of being sure, double check the Bios setup menu to make sure you have the Sata (if that is your boot drive) listed first in the Hard Drive Priority (might say something similar) area of the Boot Menu.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've checked the boot priority and it is already booting the SATA drive first. The IDE drive isn't even listed in the boot priority. When Tyree is saying that i should connect the IDE hard drive to an external HDD to USB adapter, is he talking about when i was trying to fix the IDE drive; or to do that now in order to fix the problem i have? Any other suggestions guys/girls? I feel like im one or two steps away from having this thing fixed. But without your help, im stuck!
sincerely,
ScottyG

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I somehow missed this message:
Diskette Drive 0 seek failure...
Do you have a floppy in the computer? If not, disable that option in the bios setup menu.

If you have one in there, make sure you don't have the floppy cable on upside down (when you were working in there), that is so easy to do with those floppy drives. In a rush to put things together, all of us have done a few of those numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.