Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this laptop I'm wanting to sell but its not letting me reset it. Everytime I try to reset it, it will say it needs space to reset.... Huh? Im trying to factory reset, why does it need space?? I then deleted everything by hand, most of the stuff on there was old anyway and I had already back-upped everything to Onedrive... but still it says it needs more space! Seriously? Plus every time I try, it will demmand more space. Started out it wanting only 500mb, now its 2.46 GB and this is with everything deleted!! No apps, no files, nothing! All thats left are the essential basics...Why wont it let me factory reset?

P.S Yes I ran Disk cleanup too but still the same problem

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,000 Posts
Your One-Drive files are still cached on your computer unless you specified otherwise. If you're going to resell anyway, just reformat or if really worried about data, use a 3rd party app to wipe clean. Out of consideration for your buyer, reinstall Windows which the reset would have done automatically.

·
30,000 Posts
Select Drive in File Explorer>Right Click>Format

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts
If you are booted into Windows on the computer, you cannot Format the drive with the Windows OS on it while you are in the Windows OS.
Download the Windows 10 ISO image, Burn the image to a USB Flash drive with the Media Creation Tool on that same page. Boot the computer to the USB Flash Drive, choose Your Language, then choose Custom Install. In Where to Install Windows, Delete ALL Partitions on the drive, until the drive is all Unallocated Space, then press Next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the install. Your Window Procut key is saved in the Bios so you shouldn't need to type that in.
Deleting all of the Partitions removes all of your personal data and files and Installing Windows overwrites any remaining files so no one can recover them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are booted into Windows on the computer, you cannot Format the drive with the Windows OS on it while you are in the Windows OS.
Download the Windows 10 ISO image, Burn the image to a USB Flash drive with the Media Creation Tool on that same page. Boot the computer to the USB Flash Drive, choose Your Language, then choose Custom Install. In Where to Install Windows, Delete ALL Partitions on the drive, until the drive is all Unallocated Space, then press Next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the install. Your Window Procut key is saved in the Bios so you shouldn't need to type that in.
Deleting all of the Partitions removes all of your personal data and files and Installing Windows overwrites any remaining files so no one can recover them.

???? Ehh i have no clue to any of that...what? I dont have a USB flashdrive, my dad has a spare one....have no idea what any of this means.

·
30,000 Posts
Let's go back to your first post. When you try to reset are you choosing "Remove Everything". If you weren't and it now works, post back because there's something else you should do before selling.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, Command Prompt (ADMIN)> C:\>DEL
If that works, before selling computer run this command: cipher /w:C

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
Just click the link in Post #6 follow the instructions with Pictures on how to do a Clean Install. If you get stuck, let us know where and we can walk you thru it.
You can get a USB Flash drive at any store that sells electronics or online for around 5 Euro's Amazon.co.uk : 16 GB USB Flash Drive

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's go back to your first post. When you try to reset are you choosing "Remove Everything". If you weren't and it now works, post back because there's something else you should do before selling.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, Command Prompt (ADMIN)> C:\>DEL
If that works, before selling computer run this command: cipher /w:C
I was clicking Remove everything and that is the thing that keeps saying needs more space! I will try the command trick you said.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay the command prompt is not working, it saying either ADMIN is not recognized or C:\ isnt recognized. What I am doing wrong?

Edit: Finally got through the damn barrier, it let me reset the PC but then it stops, sayimg something went wrong and no changes were made.

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
If you are logged into Windows, you can't Delete/Format the C: drive.

(Admin) is not part of the command. What This means is Start a Command Prompt as Admin.
Even if you are successful in formatting the C: drive, you need to have a Clean install of Windows on it to resell the computer. So, Again, follow the instructions in this link to do Clean Install Windows 10

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are logged into Windows, you can't Delete/Format the C: drive.

(Admin) is not part of the command. What This means is Start a Command Prompt as Admin.
Even if you are successful in formatting the C: drive, you need to have a Clean install of Windows on it to resell the computer. So, Again, follow the instructions in this link to do Clean Install Windows 10
Yeah i still dont understand any of the instructions. Most of it is technical words i have no idea... i have a microSD can that work?

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
We assume because you posted on Tech Support web site that you want to try and fix this yourself and that if given steps, with pictures, that you will try to follow along.
As stated, if you can't understand a word or a step and need it to be clarified for you, we will help you out. But if this is all to daunting of a task for you, then find a local computer tech guy and take it to him. Again, if you want to give it a shot to do this on your own, we can help.
If you have a Micros SD card reader on your computer, most computers don't, your can use that. Or you can go to Any corner store or online store that sells anything electronic and buy a USB Flash drives for around 5 Euro's

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The laptop has a slot for MicroSDs. But maybe it would be easier just to take it to a tech guy and recycle it. I know someone in town who takes in old PCs, fixes them and resells them. Fixing it would probably cost more than the actual laptop itself... its old, slow as hell, etc. I thought this would be easy but nope... oh well. Thank you anyway for helping :)

·
30,000 Posts
You still want to delete your personal stuff before giving it up.

·
30,000 Posts
It's going to be tough to convince you, but to anyone with skills, your personal data is still there for the taking. If you can't do what's been suggested, take out the disc and physically destroy it with a sledge hammer or equivalent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts