Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Windows XP. I start up laptop one day normally and suddenly can't even get to the log in screen. After the splash screen for windows XP, the computer automatically goes to a blue screen that says :

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
STOP : 0x0000007B (0xF9E51640, 0xc000000E, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Ive tried restarting computer, I cant check for viruses like it says because I cant log on, I haven't installed any new hardware, and I am not sure how to run CHKDSK /F, because I don't have a disc to do so. I have a Dell latitude laptop. Please help if you know how to solve this problem, thank you!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Welcome to TSF,

One possibility is installing the drive as a slave in a desktop using a notebook drive adapter and running chkdsk and the A/V scans

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't installed any new hardware or put anything new into the usb port. I cant even run a chkdsk command prompt in safe mode. Every time I try to do so, it starts out fine, then shortly goes to the same blue screen with the same notice I posted earlier. I tried to run Linux, thinking I could just reformat everything after doing so, But couldn't run it. I also couldn't run Windows Xp home or professional start up CD. I think my problem may been caused by one of two things. 1. I installed too many operating systems, I have Xp home, pro, and win 2000 on there. Or two, which is my main guess, I installed and uninstalled a parental control free ware. It all started when I uninstalled the freeware, the laptop started making a few funny noises and then this issue started. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reformat or fix this issue?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The funny noise part is what concerns me - I can't picture a software issue causing a noise. If you can't boot to CD after making sure the boot order is correct (boot to cd first) then my guess is that you will have to wipe or zero the drive with the manufacturer's utility, then partition and format. Since this happened after uninstalling software, doing a repair install would be appropriate. Again if your boot order is correct and you're blue screening when attempting to boot, then a tool like partition table doctor may be appropriate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.