Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to build a new computer, and have built a few before. I've got an Aspire Xinfinity case, with BK 420W power supply, Asus P5RD1-V motherboard (has onboard ATI Express 200 video), 2x512 Corsair PC3200, 3 Ghz Intel P4 LGA775, dvd drive, cd-rw drive, and an 80Gb WD800JD SATA HD. Put it all together and all fans spin and everything powers up, but nothing will show up on the monitor screen and no beeps at all from the internal speaker. I noticed also that the CD drives will not open, but the lights on them are flashing. So I have tried running bare minimum (no drives, one stick of RAM, and nothing in PCI slots), no change. Then I changed the power supply to an Antec 350SL, no change. Reset the CMOS, no change. Tried all different combinations of things hooked up, no change. No matter what I do, the fans will power up but nothing ever appears on the screen and no beeps. I guess that would narrow it down to the motherboard or the processor. Any ideas what might be going on here? Thanks.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
forzalazio31 said:
I'm trying to build a new computer, and have built a few before. I've got an Aspire Xinfinity case, with BK 420W power supply, Asus P5RD1-V motherboard (has onboard ATI Express 200 video), 2x512 Corsair PC3200, 3 Ghz Intel P4 LGA775, dvd drive, cd-rw drive, and an 80Gb WD800JD SATA HD. Put it all together and all fans spin and everything powers up, but nothing will show up on the monitor screen and no beeps at all from the internal speaker. I noticed also that the CD drives will not open, but the lights on them are flashing. So I have tried running bare minimum (no drives, one stick of RAM, and nothing in PCI slots), no change. Then I changed the power supply to an Antec 350SL, no change. Reset the CMOS, no change. Tried all different combinations of things hooked up, no change. No matter what I do, the fans will power up but nothing ever appears on the screen and no beeps. I guess that would narrow it down to the motherboard or the processor. Any ideas what might be going on here? Thanks.
Hi,

Just checking a couple of things. Is your memory listed on the motherboad approved QVL in your manual? Are you certain that you plugged in the 12 volt square molex connector in addition to the ATX plug in?

On a side note, the Aspire is not a very powerful power supply and would have difficulty pulling this unit, Also, the Antec you tried while a great quality supply, at 350 watts would not be powerful enough to run this unit as a rule (there are exceptions).

Have you double checked the reseating of the heatsink clamps? Is the CPU fan running? When you checked with the bare minimum, did you remember to hook up the speaker on the front panel connector?

Take a look at some of these things and get back with information so we can proceed further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About the side note power supply thing, I was sort of worried about the Aspire PS, but it was a good deal. I have used plenty more wattage on the Antec 350 in a different heavily-loaded system and it's been fine for two years.

The memory is approved. I plugged in the square 4-pin connector, yes. As for the 20 pin, both the Antec and the Aspire only have a 20 pin connector, but the motherboard has a 24 pin plug. I read the manual before I hooked anything up, and they say its fine to use the 20 pin connector as long as you don't plan on using the 16x PCI express slot (which won't be used for this computer). I am sure I have the 20 pin connector plugged into the right 20 pins; obviously, they won't properly fit if I move it over one or two pairs of pins. I am using in my own rig an Antec 550 PS which has a 24 pin connector, I may try that PS if you think the pin thing could be a problem. Checked heatsink seating a bunch of times, that's fine. CPU fan is running fine. The optical drives won't open, although you can certainly hear that they are trying to when you push the buttons and their lights are flashing. Finally, about the internal speaker, I had never seen one like this (this is my first non-Antec case). Instead of being with all the power switch, h.d.d. led plugs, etc., it was a 1 inch or so thing with the 4-pin plug on one end and a cylindrical thing at the other end (which I assume emits the beeps). Here's a link to the online manual, steps 29 and 30 refer to this thing.

http://www.aspireusa.net/umanual/um-atxb6klw.pdf

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would try an out of the box setup first and then the bigger psu. Could the pins on the on off switch be round the wrong way on the main board?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also add, a while back when I hooked up the internal speaker, I had hooked it up shifted one pin too far. I corrected that quite early in this whole process of trying to figure out what's wrong. Would that cause a serious problem?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
forzalazio31 said:
I should also add, a while back when I hooked up the internal speaker, I had hooked it up shifted one pin too far. I corrected that quite early in this whole process of trying to figure out what's wrong. Would that cause a serious problem?
Hi,

I really doubt if that caused you any problems. Pull both of your memory sticks out and see if you get beeps from lack of memory. This one is unusual in the fact that it has an onboard video.

One question, I don't know about your ATI onboard video, but many pci-e (even if onboard) require that you plug in an additional plug for the video. Have you checked your manual to make sure that there is not a plug that you forgot to connect up. For example, my A8N-sli deluxe has an additional plug on the motherboard for when you use two cards. This board (since I am not familar with it) might have an additional socket to plug in the motherboard. mine is a regular 12 volt female plug in on the board. Check that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No beeps with all the memory removed. I've read through the manual about 20 times now, also thinking there might be some other connection for the onboard video, but no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.