Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister gave me her old laptop (2 years old), when I try to connect to the internet all i get is Cannot display webpage. Internet connection is good, and i reset IE setttings to default, still get the same thing. when I click on "more information" the address bar changes to "res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#" Any idea as to why i cant connect to internet?

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
Temporarily disable your third-party firewall if you have one installed.
If that does the trick, you know it's the firewall that's blocking your connection, or at least blocking IE from accessing the internet.

Check the firewall's application permissions and adjust where necessary, or use a different firewall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The proxy settings were not in use, and when i typed the system WOW64 into the run menu it came back that windows can not find the file

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
Did you also clear the cache?

Please do this:

Click Start =>All programs => Accessories right click on Comand Prompt and click Run as Administrator

Copy and paste this into the Command prompt:

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Press Enter

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Press Enter.

When finished restart your computer.

What firewall is on the computer?

Can other programs that require internet still work?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem is when I try to run administrator it asks for a password, which i do not know. This computer belonged to my sisters 11 year old daughter, so I have no idea what she did to it. I tried to do windows update and it will not connect. I reset IE to factory settings as well as windows firewall. There is no 3rd party firewall. Antivirus was turned off so it could be just a virus but I wanted to check all the settings first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.