1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dell 400sc 2.8ghz P4 ht
512 ddr400 ram
phoenix a09 bios

Installed a new sata raptor (wd800gd), no problems. I didn't have to add scsi or raid drivers when installing xp. Don't think i needed them. After that wanted to use my old slave ide drive (only data). Jumper was initially set to cs, on the primary ide master, and no other hd on the cable. Bios won't detect it. I've tried messing with the jumpers (slave, master, cs) on both primary and secondary channels. The hard drive is getting power. I've used new ide cables. The primary ide controller is fine because i checked it by switching my cd-roms onto it and it loads up fine. Updated the bios from a02 to a09 and still didn't work. Removed cmos battery and still no luck. Reset nvram and also reset bios to defaults. Tried to see if it will detect on secondary channel with cd roms on primary. It won't detect when i try just the hd drive without the sata or cd roms. Did my drive coincidently die at the same time of me installing another one? It was working the day before... and i handled it correctly.
i went to dell and there is a firmware update for ide/eide. But i don't know much about it... there isn't much of a description. Plus i'm not trying to mess around with it and screw things up more. Any ideas? There is a lot of music and movies that i didn't back up on there. If i can't use it as a drive, can i at least recover the info somehow?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You might try the drive in another computer or in an external HDD enclosure. If indeed the drive failed, if it will not show in the BIOS, chances are the only hope to recovering the data is to send it off to a data recovery facility, and that could get expensive. More that the data maybe worth. If the drive failed, another option would be to change the controller board on the HDD. But you would need the exact model HDD controller for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

crazijoe thanks for the effort

so it works fine on my dad's computer... no format required to read it as a primary slave... now i'm gonna try to get what files i need by transferring them over the network and then format and see if my comp will detect it.

However since the hd is find.... what is the problem... there has to be a way to get it to detect. I heard on some motherboards that if the sata controller works that the ide won't but I've read people who have done a similar ide and sata setup on the sc400 and it works fine. Any ideas? thanx again

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

What brand name is this drive you want to get data from? Is it WD and you have it alone on the ribbon cable? If so, did you take all the jumpers off and put it on the last ribbon cable slot? Just checking basics to make sure we have it set up correctly, because WD can be a little tricky in setting them up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a seagate barracuda.
tumbleweed, i've tried all the configurations of jumpers, on both channels, alone and with cd roms. i've pretty much tried every possible way but bios won't pick it up.
so i formatted it on another computer and my computer still won't pick it up. gonna disable my sata and try again. i'll go through all the things i did before now that it's formatted. don't think it'll change anything. this is so frustrating.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

When you say disable your Sata, not sure which method you are using. I would just take out the Sata data and power cables out of the Sata and then give it a try. There has to be a reason for this? Is your IDE drive area set to Auto in the BIOS setup menu? Try it with drive set to master, alone on the cable with the drive placed on the end of the cable after you get the Sata taken care of....let us know. What might be great is to put your OS CE in the CDRom and see if the install program on the CD recognizes it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah i tried with the Sata Hd completely removed and it still didn't work. I tried on the end of the cable set to master, end set to cs, middle set to slave, middle set to cs. Still doesn't work. Tried again with no other ide devices, no luck. When i use the seagate utility, the drive still isn't detected. What's with my bios? I checked the primary channel again with cd roms and it works fine. Tried some different ide cables too.
On another note, does the jumper on the Sata have anything to do with it? From what i've read, it should matter. and what is spread spectrum clocking? should not it be off/on? i left it at default settings.

Should i try to buy and ide -> sata converter and run it on the second sata controller? But still, why won't it work. I'd try another hd but i'm not about to buy one and i gave my old one away. Maybe i can get it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried that already... i'm looking for uncommon solutions... cause i've gone through all the standard steps that should have worked. It doesn't have anything to do with the jumpers or cables, i ruled that out. Or controller on the hd or the board. Nothing dealing with power. Its gotta be something with the bios... some kind of conflict but i can't pinpoint it yet. Unless some odd combination of devices and configurations, but that be so hard to find. I'll get another IDE hd (hitachi deskstar) tomorrow and see if that will get detected.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Some MBs do have a setting in the BIOS called 'legacy mode' that will only enable the SATA controller and one of the IDE channels. For a total of 4 drives.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another problem

so today i borrowed my old ide hd and tried to see if it would read... jumpers and cables are correct and still bios won't detect it.

Now a new problem, i have no idea how this occured... i handle all the device very carefully and didn't even touch the sata hd. Now i can't boot XP due to an "unmountable boot" and after runnning chkdsk i have some unrecoverable sectors. So a couple of problems now, all my data was on that disk so i don't want to format. Even if it is, how can i have bad sectors, the drive is a week old. ***!!! And still can't detect an ide drive. Now what? Maybe i should complain to dell and see if they can hook a new pc... i don't it though. But both the sc400 and wd800gd is from them. Any ideas or at least some kind of direction i should head in. Don't have money for a new comp right now.... nor do i think i need one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.