Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I downloaded a picture - minimized it - put it on my desktop and now I can't get rid of it. I can't find the file anywhere. When I go into display and look under desktop, the picture isn't there either. If I try to pick a new desktop background, it looks like it changes, but when I am back looking at my desktop the picture I don't want it still there. I know this is a silly problem but it is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Look in 'My Pictures' or in Windows Explorer & follow this path.
C\Windows\Web\Wallpaper
Should be in one of the two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flatiron2,
Thank you for the help, however, I still can't find it. Just can't seem to get rid of the darn thing.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Flatiron2,
Thank you for the help, however, I still can't find it. Just can't seem to get rid of the darn thing.
I had this saved from somewhere. Never tried it myself. Worth a try i suppose.
Worked for someone.

Start regedit.
Navigate to:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\
In the right pane, look for a String Value with a path to a bitmap on your system--for instance: c:\windows\Circles.bmp -Delete the value.--Exit the Registry editor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, going to places I never new about. Scary! Anyway, didn't see anything in there either. Thanks though.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Wow, going to places I never new about. Scary! Anyway, didn't see anything in there either. Thanks though.
Bet this will work.

Do a search for Internet explorer wallpaper.bmp or just internet explorer wallpaper but before searching click on more advanced options and check "search for hidden files". HTH

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Check in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System
if wallpaper is mentioned there. If there is a mention there its to fix the background so that its unchangeable.

Go into C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes and search for it in there.

It will be under the JPG/BMP format usually hidden inside one of the folders if its part of a theme. If not, look in the My Pictures where you have to normally have an image to be able to set it as Desktop so the system known where to look it up.

Best way is to just do a system scan by pressing Winkey+F>type: *.jpg,*.bmp and see if comes up there.

It will be a "background file". It could be anywhere, even under a photo-editing application or your net temporary folder.

Clear your temps folder aswell, restart and see what you get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally, I was able to get rid of the problem. It had something to do with a shortcut. Who knows what in the world I did. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.