Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Linux CD that I am trying to use. On one system I have (with a Pentium MMX 200 and 64MB Ram) I am trying to install Linux to it, and my CD was slightly scratched up. On my powerhouse box with a CD-RW, it reads fine and setup will load fully. On the MMX box, it has a 24X CD-ROM and Linux setup only loads its RAM-disk half way, says Initializing CD-ROM, and just sits there. After wearing out a DiskDoctor on the CD, I see no improvement. So I try to copy the disk onto a CD-R with Veritas Record Now on my powerhouse box. It says it cant read the Linux CD. Is it just getting confused when it don't recognise the file structure, or is it really having a hard time reading it to copy it? I think it is just getting confused (like I say, I have no trouble whatsoever loading setup from the disk to install Linux on my powerhouse box). I do have XP on my powerhouse box, making it incompatible with my version of Linux without repartitioning my hard disk, and I don't want to bother with that yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I must say that the RAM Disk loading freezing could be a variety of problems, maybe your PC has conflicts with Linux. I take it your using SuSE, or RH? But try giving the disc a good clean with a cloth from the glasses cases.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm using Mandrake 7.2 and trying to get it to go on a Compaq Presario 4814. The CD is a little "banged up" and I have wore out a Disk Doctor on it. Last time I checked, Disk Doctor resurfaced the disks so they would work.

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
Disk Doctor resurfaced the disk?:confused: As far as copying the CD, I'd look for something along the lines of CloneCD that will do a 1:1 copy of the image, it doesn't worry about the file structure of the disk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.