Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope I'm in the correct section:

Can't connect to Windows Update - Windows Security Center errors

To the best of my knowledge, my system is not infected. I run Anti-Malwarebytes nightly and scan the system with the free version of AVG nightly. I'm the only user on the system and I try to download only from reputable sites. In general the system is running very well, I haven't noticed any slowdowns or odd behavior other than this problem.

I'm running Windows 7 SP 1 Ultimate, 6 Gig Ram, lots of hard drive space. Until recently I could say that all updates were installed but now I'm unable to connect to the Windows Update server. Going to Control Panel / Windows Update / Check for Updates returns an error code of 80072EFD. In my reading of tech sites it seems that this problem is not uncommon and causes problems for many users.

I'm seeing lots of the following Errors:
In the Application log, EventID 1001 'Windows Error Reporting' (See attached Item A)
In the System log, EventID 10016 'DistributedCOM' (See attached Item B)
In the System log, EventID 7000 'Service Control Manager' pointing to the Security Center (See attached Item C)

I've been reading and following various tech sites to no avail. It seems that many just assume an infection instead of diagnosing the problem. Can you help me, please?

Thanks in advance,

J. R. Fetty

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tomken15, thanks for the reply. sfc /scannow runs clean. Thanks for the referral pages. One point I'd like to ask about. When I try to start the 'Security Center' Service I get the following error.
---------------------------
"Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process"
---------------------------

So I did some checking. The 'Security Center' Service is currently configured to Log on via the 'Local Service' account while other dependencies such as Remote Procedure Call are set to Log on via the 'Network Service' account. I wouldn't have minded changing things but I had no idea what the password was for any of the account and I didn't want to make things worse.

Do you know if I'm understanding this error correctly? Also, do you know of any other tests I can run?

I'm afraid I don't understand how to use the Administrative Tools after reading those two articles. :sad:

J.R.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
This bit is new to me as well, but if you go into Admin Tools and open Component Services - in the right pane - click on More Actions/Help and there are a lot more How Tos.

I didn't initially see anything for Security Center there but in services.msc changing its Log On to Local System Account and ticking the box below that may do it and changing to that account neutralises the password.

I certainly haven't created a 15 chr password for anything on mine so I have no explanation for that - no doubt someone more knowledgeable will pick up the thread on that - especially as they'll see we are struggling :grin:

I'm sorry that I cannot offer any further help on this due to my lack of knowledge on this aspect, but the How Tos should be able to guide you through changing the permissions for the DCOM.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,719 Posts
Hi, go to start , search and type cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" copy paste these cmds :-

Code:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
Restart computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi jenae: Did as directed.

No Joy. Same error - Code 80072EFD - Was there something I should do after the system returns from the restart. All I did was to go to Control Panel / Windows Update / Check for Updates.

Thanks for helping, any other ideas?

wegrok

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,719 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.