Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cant connect to the internet at all

980 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  realitycheque 
#1 ·
new to the forum here and was wondering if anyone could help me. i accidently deleted my winsock files from the registry on my other laptop and now i cant log on to the internet. i fear i may have done more damage trying to fix my original problem, which was after uninstalling comodo firewall my internet wouldnt work. so i then followed the advice of another thread (some forum, not sure) and i got right to the step after i was to delete the winsock files from the registry right. and the next step was to right click on local area connection but the problem is i cant find that tab in control panel or anywhere at all. im beginning to feel like im royally screwed!!! any help would be supremely appreciated!!

#3 ·
ok heres what i did. i downloaded winsockxpfix to my other laptop and copied it to a rw disc and then ran it on the computer in ?. it stated that everything was fixed and seemed to do the job according to the application, but the internet is still not connecting!! any ideas where to go from here?? any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

#7 ·
update: ok all, i did a repair install of xp after being convinced i had no other choice and it installed fine but now whenever i click on the icon for internet explorer all it does is create a shortcut! i tried to set up a connection through the wizard in control panel, but it tells me my local internet connection is disconnected (realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) and i have no idea how to enable the connection. geez i feel stupid; this seems to be an easy problem i just cant figure it out, please help!!

#9 ·
thank u every1 for the suggestions but after many times pulling out my hair follicles i finally decided to just back up my files and do a clean sweep reinstall and am happy to report that everything is up and running, working great!! ive upgraded to firefox as a web browser, avg internet security 9.0 is friggin sweet with how comprehensive it is and many other utilities i have discovered to keep this computer running at optimum!! much appreciated to those who replied to my problem!!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.