Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stand alone computer that I built a year ago. I very seldom connect to the internet with it. I think I may have hooked it up to the internet twice for updates, but the last time was around 5-6 months ago. Now when I hook up the eithernet cord, nothing happens. I've tried restarting the computer with it connected and looked at all the configuration settings for the internet in Windows XP pro, ..........nothing. Don't know what I'm missing or what could have changed in the past couple months. Any suggestions?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I think we need to know how you're connecting to the Internet. Do you have a broadband router? Do you have dial-up, cable, DSL, satellite, what?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If you are not using a router, reboot the cable modem, then connect your computer and see if you can get a connection.

JamesO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is something with the computer and not the internet connection. I know this because I take the eithernet cord out of the computer I use on the internet and hook it right into my other computer that I built. The internet connection is fine because everytime I hook it back up to the old computer, the internet works just fine, it is instantly connected.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ShortFuse said:
It is something with the computer and not the internet connection. I know this because I take the eithernet cord out of the computer I use on the internet and hook it right into my other computer that I built. The internet connection is fine because everytime I hook it back up to the old computer, the internet works just fine, it is instantly connected.
Listen to what JamesO is telling you. Normally, you have to reboot/reset the cable modem to get it to work with a different computer. I have witnessed this on many occassions.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
The above posts are correct. For all the cable modems I've ever worked with, you MUST power cycle the modem if you change the attached device.

You have to ask yourself, if you're so sure of what the problem is, why are you asking for help here? :smile:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You need to clear the client MAC address association out of the cable modem so the device can communicate properly. If my memory is correct, it is the ARP cache that is really what is being cleared.

Reboot your modem every time you change connected devices. This is not negotiable.

If you then have a problem, reboot the attached device as well.

It is not always as simple as swapping cables.

JamesO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was trying to say that I have restarted both the computer and the cable modem in different orders and even at the same time and it wasn't working. I kept looking through all my settings in windows and finally found that Norton Internet Security 2005 had completely cut off all internet connections. I uninstalled Norton, reinstalled it after I made the connection to the internet, got all my updates, and now everything is running smoothly. I want to thank JamesO and Resolution for their help and especially thank johnwill for the smart-aleck comments.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
When your Norton subscription runs out, do the following:

Download and install Zone Alarm free firewall Zone Alarm Free

Download and install AVG Free antivirus from Grisoft Gristsoft AVG Free

You will never need to pay for updates, in my opinion, you get faster protection that consumes less computer resources, the programs are less cumbersome, and they protect you as good, if not better than Norton.

I have removed Norton and Mcafee from every machine I own and have no regrets.

JamesO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I just recently put ZoneAlarm on this computer (not the one in question). I did it last Friday as a matter of fact and I haven't been too impressed with it. I have the Zone Alarm Suite, I don't know if it didn't like all the other programs on this computer or what, but it slowed down my computer like crazy and I couldn't access the internet half the time. Once it started doing that, it would freeze everything on my computer and I would have to restart. I got tired of doing that and just did a system restore to get rid of it completely and haven't had any problems since. The features on it were amazing though, but I think I'll wait till I built another computer that I would want to hook up to the internet (unlike the other one I built) before I would consider using it. Does seem much better than Norton though, but I think I'll just use my Norton till the subscription runs out. Thanks though JamesO. Really appreciate the help. Take care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.