Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad had a cord out in the living room to connect to the net and it worked fine. then my dad fixed up a cord he bought long time ago. it works for his computer but not mine. he all so cut about 5 ft of of it made another cord for his computers. i can use that to log on but it takes time to do so. i need about 150ft of cord to make to my room. i know it wont work if i cut more of it off. i did get signals from it twice once 15 secs. and for 1 second. but never got one ever again. i know its not the firewall. i just turned it on a few weeks ago. i thought it automatically turns on when u install windows. few weeks ago the cord my dad had in the living room took a wile for me to log on with it. it never took time to do so before. so it seems like its getting worst. so how do i change my network settings to make it connect to the net?

·
Registered
19 Posts
my dad had a cord out in the living room to connect to the net and it worked fine. then my dad fixed up a cord he bought long time ago. it works for his computer but not mine. he all so cut about 5 ft of of it made another cord for his computers. i can use that to log on but it takes time to do so. i need about 150ft of cord to make to my room. i know it wont work if i cut more of it off. i did get signals from it twice once 15 secs. and for 1 second. but never got one ever again. i know its not the firewall. i just turned it on a few weeks ago. i thought it automatically turns on when u install windows. few weeks ago the cord my dad had in the living room took a wile for me to log on with it. it never took time to do so before. so it seems like its getting worst. so how do i change my network settings to make it connect to the net?
Check the patch cable that your dad made is crimped down tight. Also check if the pairing of straight through are correct.

See this tutorial and "Re-use of old cables" section.

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no it not the cord. it works for my dads computers just not mine. it has to be the settings or it has to be a file we downloaded to use a wireless connector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there anyway to tell if ur motherboard works? maybe thats my problem. i know its not the cord. it work just fine. so is there anyone going to try and help me?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.