Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been really annoyed with the regenerating Searches and Favorites folders that pop up under my user, and I saw that one potential fix of it was to click under Location and move it to somewhere else.

Well...I chose Temp. I figured hey, whenever the Favorites folder regenerates, it'll be under the Temp folder, and it'll just erase itself and whatnot. Except instead, it changed the Favorites folder to Temp under user. Now, it won't let me erase it, because it says there's stuff currently active.

So I make the mistake of moving the location of THAT to OS, and now, naturally, OS is under my user and can't be removed. On top of that, Favorites has just regenerated, so now I've got the same problem I had before, except on top of it, a duplicate OS folder is located under my username.

How do I fix this? The last thing I want to do is click on the duplicate OS and "restore default" so it sends OS stuff to the Favorites folder (if it would even allow that), especially because for some stupid reason, the Temp files are being sent there now.

I don't want to just "hide" the folder, because I have it so hidden folders are shown. I don't have a backup from yesterday to restore my computer. I don't want to restore my whole computer back to factory settings. Is there anything I can do to at least put this duplicate OS safely gone, with Temp being fully restored and not in the Favorites folder, even if it means I have to keep the stupid regenerating empty Favorites folder?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After manually selecting all the contents of the Favorites folder (which housed some, but not all, of the temp files), and deleting them, I was able to delete the Favorites folder, but I'm pretty sure that when it regenerates, it'll be the Temp files in there rather than the empty Favorites folder.

And the more pressing issue of the OS is still hanging there. There's no option to delete (not that I would try doing that anyway) and if I click the Properties > Location for it, and then "restore default", it says to send all OS files to C:\Users\(username)\Favorites.

Does anybody know how I can fix these problems? I'd REALLY appreciate the help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, guys, c'mon, can someone PLEASE help me out here, or at least respond and say "we can't figure it out"? I've been waiting for days to fix this problem and I don't know if my Temp folders are screwed up and so forth.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Hello, I'm sorry no-one has responded to this, I'm suprised to say the least. Usually myself when I am looking through threads to find ones with zero replies, maybe others do this and when they see your thread with around 6/7 replies they assume someone is on the case. Which isn't the case, glad I looked here though.

ANYWAY!

Does this problem happen when you are logged into any other accounts? If you have no more accounts go ahead, create one and see if the problem still occurs.

Regards,
George

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just created another standard account and when I went on that one, everything was fine. I definitely don't want to just go convert to using that one though, as that'd be a pain in the *** when it comes to switching all the little details and so forth, you know?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I remove/delete the new user account I just created, will I lose anything on the admin account I have the problem on? Because I'd rather just keep this stupid problem than have to basically reformat my whole computer again.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Just to clarify, deleting the account you created will not affect any other account. You will lose anything you saved in the new accounts folders though.

You can restore the Default Location, but choose not to move the files. Then move the favorites manually, or delete files that shouldn't be in the old location..

I'm not quite following the sequence of events here. If you relocated the Favorites folder to one of the Temp folders, you should not have seen a Temp folder appear under your user folder. Instead, the temp folder you selected would have it's displayed name changed to Favorites.
Same with relocating to the OS folder (By this so you mean the C:\Windows folder?). Doing this (or moving to any system folder) should have given you a warning that you would be unable to separate them afterwards, or restore the defaults. And most files would not have been moved.

What is the current location shown for the Favorites folder?

Let's look at the folder settings.
Copy the text in the following code block into Notepad.
Save it on the desktop as Query.cmd. Be sure to change the Save as Type: box to All Files when saving.
Code:
[PLAIN]Set _file=%userprofile%\Desktop\Query.txt
 >"%_file%" Echo.[CODE]
>>"%_file%" 2>&1 Reg Query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /V TEMP
>>"%_file%" 2>&1 Reg Query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /V TMP
>>"%_file%" 2>&1 Reg Query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /V Favorites
>>"%_file%" 2>&1 Reg Query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /V Favorites
>>"%_file%" 2>&1 Reg Query "HKCU\Environment" /V TEMP
>>"%_file%" 2>&1 Reg Query "HKCU\Environment" /V TMP
>>"%_file%" Echo.
Start Notepad "%_file%"
Exit
[/PLAIN][/code]
Double click the file to run it. It will create a file named Query.txt on the Desktop and open it in Notepad. Select all the text, and copy and paste the text into your next reply.

User names from your PC may be present in the result. If you don't want them posted, you can use the Edit | Replace feature in Notepad to change the user names to User1, User2, etc, before posting the results.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, no warning whatsoever when it occurred. I simply clicked to change the location of Favorites, chose Temp, and all that happened was that it changed the "Favorites" folder to "Temp". Then I tried to do the same, moving it to the C drive, but it just replaced that Favorites/Temp folder with the OS (C drive). Favorites has never regenerated in the user folder, and the real Temp folder inside the real C drive section claims to have not been modified since 8/21/2010, when this all started - yet if I run CCleaner, it lets me remove temporary system files.

Here's an image of what I see. (Note: "Searches" does show up, but I delete it, and it regenerates. That's how this whole thing came about. I was looking for a method to stop Searches and Favorites from continually showing up, but a way that didn't involve shutting off showing hidden files/folders.)

As for the Query.txt file, this is what was inside it:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    TEMP    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %SystemRoot%\TEMP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    TMP    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %SystemRoot%\TEMP

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    Favorites    REG_SZ    C:\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Favorites    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %SystemDrive%\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
    TEMP    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
    TMP    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
The System Temp folder (C:\Windows\Temp) and the User Temp folder (C:\Users\Mango\AppData\Local\Temp) are set to the defaults. Don't know why the modified date would not be changing on either of those.

This batch file will restore the default Favorites path, and restore the desktop.ini file for the Favorites folder.
It will not move any existing Favorites that may exist in C:\, or any folders that should be under Favorites, you'll have to move those manually. If there is a C:\desktop.ini file you can delete it, there shouldn't be one in the root of the drive.
You have to log off and log on to get Windows to display the folder properties properly.

Copy the text in the following code block into Notepad.
Save it on the desktop as FixFavorite.cmd. Be sure to change the Save as Type: box to All Files when saving.
Code:
[PLAIN]Reg Add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /V Favorites /T REG_SZ /D %USERPROFILE%\Favorites /F
Reg Add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /V Favorites /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D %%USERPROFILE%%\Favorites /F
If NOT Exist "%UserProfile%\Favorites" MD "%UserProfile%\Favorites"
attrib +R "%UserProfile%\Favorites"
PushD "%UserProfile%\Favorites"
If Exist desktop.ini attrib -H -S desktop.ini
(Echo.
Echo.[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected]^%^%SystemRoot^%^%\system32\shell32.dll,-21796
Echo.IconResource=^%^%SystemRoot^%^%\system32\imageres.dll,-115
Echo.IconFile=^%^%SystemRoot^%^%\system32\shell32.dll
Echo.IconIndex=-173
Echo.)>desktop.ini
attrib +H +S desktop.ini
PopD
Pause[/PLAIN]
Double click the file to run it. It will pause at the end so you can check if any errors occurred. I've attached a screen shot after running it on my system.

I don't know how to prevent the folders from being re-created. I deleted the Favorites folder on my system, rebooted, and it was not recreated, so the registry entries by themselves don't cause the folder to be re-created.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This seems to have fixed the problem, I think. Favorites is back in the user folder and the C drive OS section isn't anymore. The only thing I've noticed that hasn't changed is that the Temp file still shows that it hasn't been modified since 8/21. Other than that, though, the other aspects have been corrected. Thank you SO much!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.