Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thru 4 DVD burners (2 Sony, 1 Memorex and 1 Lite-On) that claim to burn DVD+R DL discs. I have spent hours on the phone and corresponding by email with tech support for Nero, Sony, Memorex and Gateway (my Lite-On burner came with my Gateway computer). I am not extremely knowledgable about computers, but I can follow directions. I have updated firmware, I have upgraded software, I have tweaked everything I have been told to tweak, but I have been unable to burn to a DVD+R DL. The burner manufacturers all say it's a software issue. Nero says it's a firmware issue. All I know is that NOTHING I have been told to do has worked. All other forms of media burn fine. They seem to take a long time but I have learned to live with that. I am using Nero 6 (with NeroVision Express 3) and when I try to add a movie file that requires a double layer DVD I get the message that the file exceeds the capacity of a normal DVD and that I should use a DVD-9 (I have one loaded in the burner). If I ignore the message and attempt to burn, Nero shows a message in red at the bottom of the Burn Options screen that warns me that my project currently exceeds the capacity of a normal DVD & I need a DVD-9 media (I have used both Memorex and Verbatim media with the same results). If I ignore that and click Burn, I get the warning that recording this project may produce unsuitable results, blah, blah, blah (can you feel my frustration?) If I continue anyway, the burn process will then stall out after about 20 minutes, at which point I just abort. I currently use XP Media Edition with a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1633S. Firmware has been updated from DGS4 to BSOS. I have run out of resources. Does anyone know of a fix for this that is not extremely technical. This has been going on since the middle of August.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ recles
I would highly recommend that you not burn to DL discs. They just aren't consistent enough(or are consistently unuseable)to warrant the added expense for their unpredictability. Few burners burn them well and even fewer burn only specific types with any consistency. IMHO You will be much better off burning to single layer discs until they get it figured out. You may be interested in this little free program called DVD Shrink and some how-to's . This will compress your video to fit exactly to a single layer disc. You can remove menus or added sound tracks easily or whatever you like to minimize compression.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.