Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I can't complete any cd I start burning. My Yamaha burner always worked fine, but now, the cd starts to burn, but after 6% it freezes, and I have to manually reboot my computer. that's with any application, cd and type of data.

Any idea?
thanx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, Yamaha burners are crap. A friend went through 3 before giving up and getting a TEAC. No more burning problems.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I know people that have successfully used Yahama CD-RW drives, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the drive just yet.

First off, can you read an entire CD that's full of data without an issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, without problem.

The write process begins without problem either, but them... boom.

I was once told the temp directory could have something to do with it, but it's empty and it crashes anyway...

thanx for the hand

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you have plenty of disk space, and you've reseated all the cables for the CD-RW drive, I'd consider trying it in another machine to see if it's the physical drive or something on the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
logical in deed...

good call
thanx

·
Registered
139 Posts
Guys,

I have been using a Yamaha F1 internal drive for almost ten months now under both Windows 98 first edition and XP and have not had ONE SINGLE problem! I use Sound Forge 6.0, CD Creator Platinum 5.0, CD Architect 5.0, Cool Edit Pro 2.1, and Nero 5.5 with this burner and everything works perfectly. It also rips CDs and CD-Rs very well!

I bought the last version of that burner, made one year ago, updated the drivers and installed the updated firmware and all is good. I also do not burn any faster than 16x, ever! High speeds produce heat and heat kills hardware. Maybe that is why I am lucky so far.

I stick with major brands of blanks and NEVER use those no-name CD-Rs from Comp USA or Wally World.

Yamaha did produce some buggy drives before, but they must've gotten the last run of these right. The one I got retail came in a box with the white background. Aparently, the bad drives came in the grey box.

Granted, this has been my first experience with a Yamaha burner, but it has been nothing but positive, so far.

Don't get me started on HP burners, now...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only one problem:

I have a grey case! :winkgrin:

It's an old drive, so it can be dead, but I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
music freak said:
Don't get me started on HP burners, now...
LOL, I think *anyone* could "get started" when talking HP, "anything". :D
BTW, personally, I've had 100% positive results burning anything on any "brand" of media, starting with a "House Brand" 2x burner in '98, then a Mitsumi 4X, then a Mitsumi 8X, then a TEAC, 12X, and now a Pioneer 105 DVD/CD burner 16X. I think music freak nailed the problem for most folks... trying to burn at a too high speed. 12X seems to be the "sweet spot" IMHO, for all types of burnable CD media.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, but I can't burn high anyway... (8x)
I've resigned myself: I think the burner's simply dead!

But I'll post in the end if I get something out of it!

Thanx

·
Registered
139 Posts
When my old HP 72001 died, it wasn't actually dead, but there was a small spring defect that caused the units to malfunction in about a year's time. There was actually a class-action lawsuit about it all. It focused on the 7100 series, also made by Philips. Anyway, the signs of malfunction in CD Creator were track-write errors, meaning the drive refused to burn. And, if it did, they were bad burns. Then it wouldn't rip anything, but still played CDs. After a while, it wouldn't do *anything* at all. Dumb me then went out and bought another HP burner, a 7570i. It worked fine except for a loud, grinding noise, and that it absoloutly would not burn anything past 78 minutes. Then I got a Plextor. It doesn't like Ritek-made TDK blanks much. But then, neither does the Yamaha. Strange thing about TDK blanks. No matter who makes them, they have issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.