Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new Logitech cordless mouse for one of the computers. We hooked up the little receiver device and started the computer, it wouldn't boot. Nothing ever comes up - it's just a black screen. So we disconnected it, restarted and it booted fine. At that point we reconnected the receiver, put some batteries in the mouse and it worked fine all day yesterday. No software was ever installed, it just worked.

So this morning we start up and again it won't boot. This time we disconnected only the mouse connection but left the USB cable plugged in, restart and it boots up fine. We reconnect the mouse cable and everything is working fine.

What is interfering with the boot process? This is a Win 2000 Pro OS and has always just had a normal corded mouse up till now.

P

·
0 Posts
reset your CMOS. and retry. lets see if it works. This has something to do with the bios i believe. The system might be recognizing the device as a bootable device. So we need to set it right. go ahead and reset it by taking the battery out ( mobo battery ) for 15-20 mins and put it back on and boot.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
also
after scott's suggestion. ..take a peek in your control panel to see if its showing your old ps2 mouse now as a conflict.
you might need to remove it , and you also might need to install the disk that came with your new device.
No software was ever installed, it just worked.
good luck and post back

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

There was a conflict in Device Manager so I decided to try installing the software. The owner of the computer doesn't want to try restarting till Mon morning so we'll see how it goes then.

I figured since there was an easy thing to try I'd that before resetting the CMOS. I know just enough about computers to get myself into trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.