Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop is running Vista 64 bit and is a year old Dell. I downloaded something (can't recall what). I kept getting a message that the anti-virus program (McAffee, I think) quarantined something that could not be cleaned. I got a message that this is what was done. Every time I closed the message it reappeared a moment or two later. I decided that I would reboot the computer. It would not shut down so I cut off the power supply. In starting (after selecting to start normally) it will go to a screen that is largely black and has "Microsoft Corporation" at the bottom with a running scale above that. The scale moves just for a moment before freezing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try to boot using an ERD Commander CD, it has some tools that might help you in diagnosis. Also you should try an Windows Vista x64 Recovery Disc, this is a separate release from MS ( free for down as I know) , it's not your win setup disc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, the first suggestion is over my head and the second only gives 2 options, starting up repair and start normally. Taking the second suggestion, and clicking 'repair' just brings back to the same screen.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
do you have the dell disk in when clicking on repair

if the repair option does not offer a non destructive repair option when it comes up you will lose everything you have installed using this option

try running

chkdsk /r

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll tell you where I am, but I can/t tell you how, dumb luck perhaps. It asked me if I see color lines, which I did. hen it started to scan. First the memory6 and now tthe hard drive. It's still running and I am getting too tired to stay up any longer. I'll check it out in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.